Tuesday, March 13, 2012

 

63 years together...

My Mom and Dad just celebrated 63 years of marriage. How? Well, they married young and they have lived a long time. But there has to be more to it. I love their example for Marsha and I, for our kids, and even for our grandkids. But how did they do it? And now that my Dad is battling Alzhiemers, how do they still make it? So I thought about lessons learned from Mam and Pap and 63 years.

They love God. They still pray at meals. Pap doesn't lead the prayer anymore, but he still knows to hold hands and thank God. He can't attend worship anymore, but one of their friends sits with him on Sunday night so my Mom can go.

They love each other and they love their family. I liked watching them kiss while we cut the Anniversary cake. They have always loved my sister and me. And our mates. They are so proud of the 5 grandkids. And they love to see pics and hear stories of their great-grandkids.

They take care of each other. Now Mam has most of that work fall on her. But over the years they have been a remarkable team. Caring for others. Teaching others about Jesus. Together.

My Dad gets restless at night and my Mom doesn't sleep well. But the other night she told Marsha how when Pap is too restless, she will go lay down beside him and hold his hand. It calms him down. It should. They have been sleeping together for 63 years.

So I want to be sure Marsha and I love God, love each other, love our family, and take care of each other. Then maybe we will have 63 years if the Lord wills. That's good advice for Julie and Bobby and for JD and Jamie. And it will be good advice to share with our 5 grandkids.

One more thing. Some of you know I keep a running total of the "married years" in our family: Marsha's folks, my folks, us, and both kids. We are now at 184 years of living testimony to God's love and to his plan for marriage.

Thanks God. And thanks for Mam and Pap. Take care of them. They love you lots.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?