Monday, March 26, 2012

 

Granny and Grandpa and 67 years

March is a big wedding month in our family. My folks and Julie and Bobby were both married in March. And last Saturday, Marsha's folks celebrated 67 years of marriage. I am proud of them, a little bit in awe of them, and that is an amazing feat. But here's the thing about Granny and Grandpa... this anniversary is not really about them. It is about God.

When I think about them, I realize how many spiritual things I have learned by their years together.

They love God more than they love each other.

They have spent their lives in church.

They have spent most of their years together serving others.

They think about the other one before they think about themselves.

They take care of each other.

They have been content with what they have.

They have given generously to God instead of spending it on themselves.

They read the Bible. A lot.

They pray all the time.

They love their kids and grandkids.

They are best friends.

Well, I could say lots more, but I love them and thank them for helping me see what to do so Marsha and I can be married a long time too.

I want my kids to see them so they can learn it also. And they are.

And now it's 186 years of marriage in our three generations: both of our folks, us, and the two kids. Those years are not because all of us are so good, but because God is so good. And that's another thing I learned from Granny and Grandpa.

So thanks Don and Jean Herttenberger.

And thank you God.

Comments:
What a great legacy!
Mark Edge
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?