Thursday, March 22, 2012

 

What do elders do?

One of our Southern Hills 4th graders asked me that last night: what do elders do? He wanted to know three things. Looking back at it, I am not sure I gave great theological insights. And I realized that I gave him the three things that I most often do as an elder, so I am not sure it is what every does. Or even should do. But it is what I do. Anyway, I thought I would share with you what I told Daniel that this elder does.

Teach people about Jesus. I get to teach a class on the Sundays I am in town to a group of Christians that want to learn how to live more like Jesus. I get to travel all over this country and the world and tell people about Jesus. And I teach lots of people here about how to find and follow Jesus. He thought you ought to know a lot of Bible to do this. He's pretty sharp.

Pray. I actually stole this answer from Todd Hooper but it was a good one. I participate in lots of elder blessings and annointings. Usually 1 or 2 every week. Every time I come to church I pray with 2 or 3 people. Sometimes with other elders, sometimes with Marsha, or sometimes with other groups of Christians. People have learned not to stand to close to me or they will end up in a prayer circle. And we pray with lots of people in homes. Just last night I prayed with one of our small groups that was looking for guidance to help someone in trouble. The elders prayed over one of our flock with serious health concerns. And a group of us prayed over Daniel and his class.

Help people in trouble. Sometimes life gets in a mess. We help people learn how to let God fix their mess. We love them, give them advice from the Bible, and hold their hand till things get better.

So there you go. This elder spends most of his time teaching people about Jesus, praying with people, and helping people in trouble. I needed Daniel to ask me that question. It helped remind me why I do this. And it reminded me of what I like to do. And need to do.

And it reminded me of why I like to do it.

Comments:
I have a friend who's an Episcopal bishop who asked some children: "What do you think bishops do?" One little boy raised his hand and said, "I'm pretty sure they move diagonally."
 
Awesome. Lots of our people probably wonder if we move left or right, forward or backward.
 
Your answer sounds like what any devoted christian should and hopefully does daily.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?