Wednesday, April 04, 2012

 

So what do I do about the next tornado?

Yesterday was scary for the people living in the DFW metroplex and on up thru Sulphur Springs. I was keeping up with it because my son Joe Don and his family, my parents, my sister's family, Marsha's brother's family, and two nieces were in areas where the tornados were. And that doesn't count all our friends and family of friends in the area. As far as I know, everyone I am connected to is OK. I had lots of thoughts about these storms, but one has really stuck with me.

I am not going to write about how this makes us all realize that things are not what really matters, though that is a great lesson to be reminded of. Not going to talk about how thankful we are that God protected loved ones, though I am.

But I have been thinking about the next storm. There will be one. And next time there will be destruction and maybe lives will be lost. Because we live in a hard and fallen world. Scripture is full of warnings about the trials and troubles of this world. They help refine our faith, demonstrate our faith, and help us witness to this world.

I believe when God delivers us from storms, illness, persecution, and pain that we love Him and praise Him. And I believe that when those trials result in what is tragic and incredibly painful... we must love Him and praise Him. He is our God in the good times and bad. And because we believe, all times will someday be good. Someday.

There will be another storm. There will be economic hardship. There will be bad news from the Doctor. There will be car crashes. There will be persecution. And whatever happens to us and/or our loved ones will reveal our faith.

So I believe we prepare now for the unthinkable. We commit to love Him and praise Him whatever happens in the future in this life. We will do that because in the end all will be made right. We will live. Tears will be wiped away.

He is God. He is our God. We love Him and praise Him. No matter what. And the "what" will someday happen in all of our lives. If it hasn't, it will. It is a choice.

And I choose to love Him and praise Him.

Comments:
Living thru difficult times does not always bring out the "thank you God" feelings. The real test of my love for God did not come during the most difficult period of my life.

Along the way I encountered many "priest's",and "Levite's", but very few "Samaritan's". I realized that God's helpers are not always who you think they are, and they are represented in many religious forms.

It is not easy to love God, and praise him when you are in your darkest period of life,it is a very real struggle that takes a lot of time to come thru. Some never do, not because they did not love God, they just got tired of waiting on him.

When faced with day in and day out struggles, I did not have time to think about the end of the world you write about, the reality of the situation is you make "it" day by day.

One day your realize God sent the people and gave you the strength to get thru those times. You come away with a lot of scars,but also a deeper realization of what faith is.
 
Having gone thru difficult times, I never one had a "Thank you God" moment.

Along the way I encountered many "Priest's" and "Levite's" but very few "Samaritian's". I realized God's helpers come in many different religous beliefs.

It took years to realize God was with me during those difficult times. It was a day to day life, I did not have time to worry about the end of the world you write about. I was not afraid of dying without God.

It took years to realize that God had sent those people and situations into my life, but it was never a "praise him, love him, no matter what" time. It is a very real struggle to come thru those times, some never do, not because they did not believe, or love God, some just got tired of waiting.

I am not a better person today than I was thirty years ago. I am still open to God's goodness, and strive to be pure in heart. To do good because it is the right thing
to do, expecting nothing in return.

I am not sure persecution reveal's your faith.
 
Hey Eloise. Thanks for the comments. It is very hard to praise in the dark times. And hard to keep an eye on the real life to come when the here and now is so hard. That's one reason I write things like this -- so we all can commit to who we want to be before we are in the midst of the battle. Most really good spiritual decisions are formed before they are needed. And even then are difficult to maintain.
Always appreciate your comments. From the heart and honest. "Open to God's goodness, strive to be pure in heart, to good". Good stuff. Thanks
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?