Thursday, April 12, 2012

 

When it may be the right time to change churches...

I wrote last time about all the reasons that bother me about people who want to change church homes. Most of the time it is just about what we want and how another place can "meet our needs" better.

But I do think there are occasional legitimate reasons to change churches. Here are some of them.

Sometimes church leaders need a break and they can't get it where they are. Burnout sometimes happens. Stress gets overwhelming and leaders need a Sabatical. They can't take the pressure where they are. And sometimes their flock can't -- or won't -- leave them alone. And yes, I agree that something went wrong to get to that point but when it happens, you may need to worship somewhere else.

Ministry opportunities. You love and are gifted at special needs ministry. Your church doesn't have one but another congregation does and needs you. You are bi-lingual and your church is not ready to start a bi-lingual ministry. And there is another congregation that is. It may be better for the kingdom to go where your gifts are needed and utilized.

Sometimes sin and its consequences makes a move the right thing to do. And I would like to believe that God's peoople can work out any consequences of sin. But sometimes they don't. Or won't. Maybe you need to go somewhere else for healing and even forgiveness to occur.

If your children are not in a healthy spiritual environment, move them. I think this can really be overstated, but there are times when you realize that your children need something more than your current church offers. A parent's first responsibility is to their children's spiritual growth, not to their church family.

If you believe you and your family are in spiritual danger. Not that things are not as good as you want them, but you believe souls would be endangered. A church that condones sin (gossip, sexual immorality). I would talk to the leaders and if still convinced of spiritual danger, I would move.

If my church's core beliefs change so that they are in conflict with what I believe to be core, then I would leave. CORE BELIEFS. Or clearly in conflict with Scripture. And I realize some will have wildly differing opinions on what is core. But as an elder I have told members that what they believe to be core is not what we believe and they should go elsewhere.

A couple of last observations.

Some of these reasons that might be legitimate stem from spiritual problems. Every church has them and you would hope they could all be worked out. But if not, I would rather see someone be faithful somewhere else than die where they are.

Talk to your elders. Visit with the church leaders. Perhaps things can be worked thru. Perhaps they will bless your seach for another church home. Or perhaps you will come away convinced of what is the right thing to do.

I may write later about why you ought to stay -- even in hard situations.

So what are legitimate reasons you see to change churches?

Comments:
Been thinking about you lately. Love you brother.
 
Whenever I moved to Southern Hills one of the reasons, besides the fact that the youth was dwindling where I went before and it gave me more opportunities to work with ministry, was worship. I dont know if it was a 100% legitimate reason but I think it has helped me. Where I was at had very old style worship normally wit little excitement. When I worship I like to sing it out and
I like the modern songs that seem to be a better expression of my heart since I don't think in old English.C
 
Jordan, good to hear from you. Holler and let's get together and catch up sometime. Blessings on you and Sara.
Tyler, good point. Sometimes we have to evaluate the reasons. Selfish or true need for a different environment to grow. Glad to have you.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?