Tuesday, May 01, 2012

 

Happy birthday to my Dad...

He's 84 today and things are not like they used to be.  He is suffering from Dementia/Alzhiemer's/Senility.  Doctors differ about the exact diagnosis but the end result is the same:  he does not function well mentally like he used to.  And he is physically frailer than ever.  Marsha and I spent yesterday with he and my Mom.  We helped get some legal work done (thanks to his grandson Joe Don) and cleaned out his work shed.  Here are a couple of thoughts on his birthday.

He still knows people.  He always knows his family.  We took him by the church and he knew all of the staff.  He couldn't hang in the conversation, but he knew them.  He always loved and cared about people.  It was how he functioned as an elder and how he interacted in his church family.  That is a great legacy.

People love him.  They go out of their way to tell me how much they love and respect my folks.  My Dad spent years helping people.  Praying for people.  Serving people.  Giving spiritual counsel.  Great way to be remembered.

He is still so sweet.  He is not mean or hard to manage.  He may not be aware of everything but he is unfailingly gentle.  Always has been.  I think this struggle has revealed his true nature.  And it is kind and gentle.

So I continue to be thankful for my Dad's influence in our life.  So glad my kids grew uup with his influence.   So happy when I hear my son Joe Don talk about passion and buy in for Jesus.  It sounds just like his Pap-pa talking about commitment.  Faith legacy.

I do a lot of my blogs about family birthdays and anniversaries.  And I do that because I am grateful and love them, but also to remind you of the people in your family who have loved and molded each of you.  Sometimes blood family.  Sometimes spiritual family.  So if you had a Dad like mine, thank the Lord.  If you have a Dad like mine, thank the Lord and thank your Dad.

Love you Pap.  Thank you God for the gift of a sweet, gentle man who loves you and his family with all his heart -- even if he can't anymore with all his mind. And thank you Dad.  Your legacy continues, whether you know it or not. 

Comments:
Hey Steve. Happy birthday to your Dad! He had a big influence on me growing up, from teaching us Bible credit (I think I learned more Bible in those classes than I did anywhere else) to the many times I had the pleasure of being around him at your house and church. A truly kind, sweet and patient man who loved the Lord with all of his heart. And you're the spittn' image of him, not just in looks.
Take care brother!
Love you in Christ, Richard Blaisdell
 
Thanks Richard. My Dad has always been so proud of you. And that is one of the highest compliments I could have. By the way, saw a picture of your Mom the other day. Who was the old guy with her? :)
 
She stopped aging a few decades ago and went into a holding pattern. My aging accelerated, so I'll catch up with her soon.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?