Thursday, May 17, 2012

 

It will be 39 years Saturday... if the Lord wills

Saturday will be 39 years that Marsha and I have been married.  So -- if the Lord wills -- we will hit another milestone.  If the Lord wills.  What a striking phrase.  But one thing I have learned over 39 years is that you don't make it this long without the Lord.  That is one of the best things I have learned from her over the years.  It is all about God.  We pray for health to be active for him.  We would love to celebrate 50 years together.  Or, if we are like our parents, 60 or 70 years together.  But only God knows the future.  That's another good thing I have learned from her.  Enjoy each day as it comes.

Lots has changed over 39 years.  She has gone from Marsha to Mom.  And then from Mom to Mimi. And I have gone from Steve to Dad to Pops.  And it just keeps getting better.

She was an instructor at ACU, a stay at home Mom, a public school teacher, and now retired and busier than ever.  I have been a preacher, roofer, salesman, and now a preacher again.  And may never retire.  And we serve our church as an elder and wife.

But some things haven't changed in 39 years.  Still in love.  Didn't really know what it meant then.  Understanding it more every passing year.  And it gets better.

Still love family.  It's bigger now.  We went from two to four when we our two kids and got two more when they married.  Now we have five grandkids.  Now we take care of our parents more than they take care of us.  We get the whole cycle of life thing.  But it's still family and we would rather be with them than anyone else.

And still love God.  I am amazed at the journey over 39 years.  Faithfulness, restoration, struggle, victory, forgiveness, love.  Heartache, sickness, joy, healing, ministry.  And the one thing I am sure of is God's love and faithfulness.

And sometimes I lood at her when she doesn't know it.  And my heart still skips a beat.  I'd choose her again in a heartbeat.

So thanks for 39 years Mimi.  And as long as the Lord wills, we will love and live each coming year to the fullest.

Thanks God.  You knew exactly who I needed.  I am blessed.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?