Tuesday, May 22, 2012

 

The women's issue no one talks about...

There is much discussion among churches today about what can -- or can't -- do in worship.  Everyone tries to explain what Scripture must mean, or can't mean, to prove their position.  And if you read my blog, you will know by now that I think spirtual equality cannot be equated with equality of function.

But there is one passage of Scripture that seems very clear about the role of women in I Timothy 5 and I never hear anyone talk about it.  I don't know any church that practices it.  The church where I am elder doesn't do it. 

There is a Biblical list of widows that are to be officially recognized.  She has to be a certain age, been faithful to her dead husband, and well known for her deeds.  Those deeds are even spelled out:  raising children, washing feet, helping those in trouble.  Young women can't be on the list. 

I am not sure what maintaining a list this implies.  Is it to recognize the spiritual widows?  Is it to identify those who should be on the church staff to do a ministry of good works?  I am not sure I understand this, but one thing I do know.  I never hear the church talk about it.

So I wonder a few things about why this is never discussed.

Why do we not have elders, deacons, and widows?  All have qualifications listed in I Timothy.  And at least some indication of the ministry responsibilities.

Is it because worship leadership is so visible and most of these good deeds are not?

Is leadership seen as a higher calling than doing acts of service?

Are we afraid of age discrimination?

And if we are all equal, why is there not a list of widowers?  Are widowers not as worthy of a list as widows?

Why no intense emotional discussion about why this verse has to mean something about women in ministry?

Why no passionate arguement about how these verses can't mean what they seem to say?     

But most of all, I wonder why as an elder I haven't brought this up at Southern Hills.  Because I know several widows who meet the qualifications outlined in I Timothy 5.  Why do we not have a list?

Just wondering.  Maybe some of you know of churches who actually have this.  I'd like to know what to do about this.








Comments:
Hi Steve,
As I read 1 Timothy 5, I come away with a "huh" moment. It is the same reaction I have when I read vs. 23 same chapter,"drink no longer water,but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake". I have never been in a home of a church of christ member that had wine available,even though I interpert that scripture to say it is o.k. to drink wine.

I believe it gets down to doing what "we" feel is o.k. vs. what is taught. Traditions are hard to change.Traditionally women(widows included) have very subservient roles in the church of christ.

Is your question justified? I think so, but I doubt things will change because of it. Are your church members going to go out and by wine "for their stomach's sake"?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?