Thursday, June 14, 2012

 

Father's Day blessings...

Here are the eight reasons I love Father's Day.

1.  Joe Ridgell, my Dad.  He's still with us at 84, tho it's tough for him now.  But I have been so blessed to learn about God from him.  His passion for the church to be totally committed to Jesus has influenced me in my preaching and shepherding.

2.  Don Herttenberger,  my other Dad.  I got him when I married Marsha.  What a blessing.  He has taught me so many practical things about leading God's people.  He always gives good advice and loves me like a son.

3.  Julie Gilbreth, my birth daughter.  How can you not love being a Dad when Jules is your daughter?  She is thoughtful, sweet, kind and cares more about others than herself.  Love the way she shares Jesus.  She makes me happy and she has had my heart from the day she was born.

4.  Bobby Gilbreth, my other son.  I got him when he married Julie.  Got to baptize him.  Get to enjoy his servant heart in our family.

5.  Mark Edge, a son in the faith.  Mark spent a lot of time at our house when Julie and Joe Don were little.  He has been part of the family for thirty years now.  Great preacher.  Honored that God put him in our home.

6.  Derran Reese, my other son in the faith.  I really got him because he was Joe Don's best friend growing up.  He spent a lot of time in our home.  Great missionary in Thailand.  Glad JD had a best friend like him because I got a 2 for 1 deal on sons.

7.  Jamie Ridgell, my other daughter.  I got her when she married JD.  Home run.  She is sweet, thoughtful, and fanatical aobut living out her faith in this world.  So glad she is now mine too.

8.  Joe Don Ridgell, my birth son.  There's something special on Father's Day knowing your son is a great Dad.  He is the Dad I wish I had been and the man I want to be if I ever  grow up.  I cannot imagine a son I would be more proud of, or how it could have been any more fun.

As I wrote this, I noticed the common themes:  God, love, laughter, faith, sharing Jesus in this world. 

So I am really going to be happy on Sunday.  My dads, my birth kids, my kids by marriage, and the two guys God let hang out in our home. 

I look at my kids and I am happy.

Thanks God.  I don't deserve them.  They are my greatest Father's Day gift. 

So glory to you. 

And a special thanks to Mimi.  Good Moms sure help you be a better Dad.      

Comments:
Steve, I am so honored. Thank you so much!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?