Thursday, June 28, 2012

 

Joe Don's birthday...

My son has a birthday tomorrow and, as you know, I use family birthdays as a chance to tell everyone how proud I am.  And it is a chance for you to maybe see something helpful in your family journey.  So today is about Joe Don.  But I am going to start with the things I worked really hard at ... that did not happen.

For years, I hit him 100 grounders every day.  It was a great time and I knew he would be a really good baseball player.  And he became a really good tennis player.

I was sure he would be an outstanding preacher.  He is a very successful lawyer.

Everything doesn't turn out like you expect.

But some do.  So here are a few of the things that haven't surprised me one bit.

He loves Jesus and passionately follows his call.  Now he is instilling that same passion in his three kids.

He loves people.  It shows and they respond to it.  Even as a teenager, people would come to him for advice and counsel.  They still do.  I do.  He will be the Dad all the teenagers come to for advice.  

Life doesn't turn out the way you think, but God is in charge.  He didn't play tennis in college.  Couldn't.  He blew an elbow.  Twice.  But he had a great college experience.  And his life is really good.  Not how he thought college would be... but maybe better than it would have been.

He is a gifted Bible teacher and leader at his church.  For free.  Because he loves Jesus and wants to.

Bonus features:  he loves sports, hunting, and fishing.  So do his boys.  Nice.

But I am proud of him because he loves Jesus, Jamie, his kids, his family, his church family, and people.  In that order  And I love the way he doesn't just talk that way.  He lives that way.

So JD... every moment of your life I have been proud to be your Dad.  You honor me by your life.  But more important, you honor God.  And as you raise Andrew and Austin to be men of God you will understand this more and more.

Love you,  Pops



Comments:
Thanks Dad. Although you should probably point out the mistakes I made and continue to make or people will get the wrong idea. Loved being with this past weekend. JD
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?