Wednesday, September 19, 2012

 

Clois Fowler and Neil Lightfoot are home...

It is always bittersweet when heroes of faith go home.  So glad for them, but hurt for the families.  Glad for no more suffering in this world, but know that there is now a difference in the fabric of this life.  Glad for heaven, which is why these two men are heroes of mine.

Clois Fowler ran Herald of Truth Ministries for 25 or so years.  Worked in development another 12 or so.  He did that because he had a passion and a vision for our world to know Jesus.  I came to work after Clois had retired, but have always been conscious that I stand on the shoulders of those who went before me.  Clois Fowler prayed, gave, administered, planned, and worked so that our world might know Jesus.  Batsell Barrett Baxter, Harold Hazelip, John Allen Chalk, Lynn Anderson, and Landon Saunders were able to share the words of Jesus because of his passion.

And God used Clois to build something that lasts.  Herald of Truth is still sharing the words of Jesus with our world.  Juan Antonio Monroy, Tim Archer, Tony Fernanzez, and I get to share Jesus because of the vision of Clois Fowler.

Neil Lightfoot was one of my Bible professors at Abilene Christian University.  Except I never thought of him as a professor.  I always thought of him as a Bible teacher.  I learned to love the book of Hebrews in his class.  He was one of those who cared about me as a person, and not just as a preaching student.  Loved the Lord, loved the Word, loved the church.  Influenced literally hundreds of preachers.

His work continues also.  Lots of us -- his former students -- still preaching.  I get to serve as an elder where some of his family (kids, grandkids, and great-greandkids) worship.

For both of these men, their deeds follow them.

So thanks Clois Fowler for helping to make it possible for me to go all over the world and talk about Jesus.  And thanks Neil Lightfoot for helping me know what to say when I do.

See you soon.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?