Tuesday, October 02, 2012

 

My Friend Foy Oliver Jackson is home...forever.

I don't remember meeting Foy.  All I know is that it was in the nursery at the old Trinity Heights Church of Christ building.  Foy, Richard Blaisdell, and I were together from nursery thru college.

We saw each other baptized.  We sang together, prayed together, and learned to preach together.  Some of my fondest memories of Foy are the times he led singing for me when I preached.  He was with me the day I bought my first gift for Marsha.  It was a giant stuffed turtle.  Yeah, I didn't say anything about our common sense.  But it was fun.  He told me I was going to marry her.  He was right.

We tried to help each other stay off of tough roads.  Different paths, but hard times.  After college, we would drift in and out of each other's lives.

Everybody loved Foy.  He was funny, likable, made friends easily, and was loyal to his friends.  He loved Jesus.  He wanted to be the man God wanted him to be.  But it was always a battle for Foy.  Sometimes he would be losing the battle and I wouldn't hear from him for months ... or years.  Then he would start fighting for his faith again and he would call or come over late at night.  And we would talk about grace, forgiveness, and restoration.

Foy's health has been declining over the last year.  Our last conversation was about faith, ministry, and helping others to know Jesus.  He was proud of my ministry.  Proud of me.  And I was proud of Foy.  Proud because he wouldn't give up on his faith.  Proud because he repented of bad choices.  Proud because he wanted to be God's man.

And last week he died.  And I'm glad.

Satan can't tempt him.  The intense fight for faith has ended.  Foy won.  He is home with his folks and with his sister.

I have lots of great Foy stories.  And lots of painful Foy stories.  But I am glad I grew up with him.  Glad for his encouragement.  Glad he fought till the end.

So to my oldest friend Foy.  Love you and glad you made it home safely.  Tell your folks hello and I'll be along shortly.

Comments:
I knew Foy as well. From Highland stuff. And I too was glad that he won this battle in the name of the Lord. Thanks for sharing your words and encouragement of Foy. Can't wait to see him again.
 
I still miss Foy. The talks.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?