Thursday, October 04, 2012

 

Still learning from Tom Olbricht...

Tom Olbricht.  He's 82 now, but I had him back in college at ACU for Old and New Testament theology.  Except it wasn't called theology then, it was called Great Doctrines.  Still the same material.  A couple of weeks back, he and I spoke at the Upper Midwest Preacher's Retreat at Fallhall Glen camp near Black River Falls, WI.

I really enjoyed Tom's sessions. He spoke on "Great Restorationist Leaders Worthy of Emulation."  Here are some things I learned.

Those of us who are part of the Restoration movement sometimes seem to think all great heroes of faith are outside of our heritage.  We have incredible men and women of faith in our heritage.  Here are five.

T.B. Larimore.  I always admired this preacher because of his strong emphasis on evangelistic preaching.  Said to have baptized over 10,000 people.  I had forgotten how much he opposed the drawing of lines based of differing opinions about what Scripture says about various doctrines.  Very inclusive.

Andy T. Richie Jr.  I really did not know of this man except as a musician and choir director at Harding University.  He was very involved in camps and campaigns.  His students mostly recalled his spirituality.  Impressive.

J. N. Armstrong.  I may have remembered he was President of Harding at one time.  I did not know he was instrumental in founding a number of colleges.  He was also intent on getting brothers and sisters to get along even when they did not agree on every issue.

Sarah S.Andrews.  Missionary to Japan.  Would not leave during WWII and stayed there under house arrest.  Very inspired by her story.

LeMoine Lewis.  I knew him personally.  He taught undergraduate church history and was a major reason I got a Masters in Restoration History.  Brilliant man who studied at Harvard and stayed faithful.  He asked to teach undergraduates.  Most men of his stature would only want to teach graduate courses.  Very humble.

And back to Tom Olbricht.  Very smart.  Funnier than I remember.  Of course, he wasn't grading me this time.  Loves God deeply.  Loves the church.  Loves the stories of those who have gone before us.

I do want to emulate these heroes of faith.  And that includes Tom.

So thanks  Dr. Olbricht for being my teacher once again.  And this time I stayed awake for every session.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?