Tuesday, November 13, 2012

 

But there are some things the church does together

I have really been thinking about how much of what today's church does is really the task of each of us as individual Christians.  And if that is true, then maybe the primary role of the collective church is to motivate and inspire us to live out our faith individually in this world.  Evangelize, care for our family, remember the widows and orphans.  Most churches tend to lean heavily on programs and staff to accomplish these things.  That is not to say that individuals cannot participate thru a program, but it is easy to lose focus for our personal responsibility as long as the church has a program and a budget.  And as long as we write a check for said budget.

However, there are some things in Scripture that the church does do collectively.

Paul was supported in  his missionary work in various ways.  Sometimes he supported himself.  Sometimes he was supported by a wealthy Christian, and at least sometimes by a different congregation.  So I must admit that a church can take up a collection to support a missionary -- which I define as making disciples where there are few, or no, Christians.  So evangelism among my friends and neighbors is my responsibility.  In places where I cannot, do not, or will not, go... it is appropriate to give organizationally.

The church  took up contributions to help Christians in need in another place.  So I think locally I must help my brothers and sisters personally, but there are times when it is appropriate to collectively send money to help Christians in need.  This does seem to be done on a congregation to another congregation basis.

And there was some kind of program or ministry set up to help local widows when their needs were not being met and the church was in danger of being divided.  So I think it appropriate to institute a program when congregational needs are not being met by individual Christians.  By the way, the Jewish widow's needs evidently were being met without having to make it a more formal program.

There are provisions for at least some local ministers, and ironically it is one I never see any of our churches staff:  widows.  There are clear qualifications and a clear job description.

Well, all this is not to say that all local ministers, budgets, and programs are wrong.  But I do wonder how many times we are missing the real call and vision of the church:  to inspire us to serve God out in the world as individuals, families, and in small groups.  And I wonder how often we feel disengaged at church because it is so easy to let the "pros", the programs, and the budgets handle everything.

Most collections and staffing seem to be for things far away.  Most local programs seem to be when there is a failure for individuals to live out our mission.

When the emphasis remains on corporate activity, then it is always a battle to staff, fund, and structure all the ministry that must be done.  So I become more and more interested in church that is about motivating and inspiring me to follow Jesus outside the walls.

So what do you think?  What am I missing?  Both and ...   Either or...

Let me know.

Comments:
Great post Steve, it is so easy to fall into the trap of doing church our focus becomes "the entity" instead of "the empty". My focus, and i am always adjusting it, is to take Jesus to people who are empty of the life He promises! peace
philip
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?