Monday, November 05, 2012

 

Should there be a vision for the church?

I am thinking thru things today.  Most of the the time in this blog I share my thoughts, opinions, rants, etc.  But today I am trying to sort out some things about the vision of the church.

I hear that phrase often.  Churches must have a vision.  We must communicate our vision.  Where is your vision?  Church vision statements.  I am hearing a lot about this where I am an elder.

So I started reading thru Scripture looking for the vision that God's people should have.  I was looking for the communal call of God that will unite and inspire us.  There is quite a bit in Scripture that seems to be a vision for God's people.  Go into all the world and make disciples.  Do good to all men.  Take care of the poor and needy.  Take care of the widows and orphans.  Take care of each other.

But here is what struck me.  Almost everything I am seeing seems to be a vision for me as a Christian.  Not for my church collectively, but my call individually.  In fact, most of what I am seeing for a community of faith is about encouraging each other to live out our vision as individuals.

So I am wondering if the whole vision for a church is a misplaced notion?  I hear a lot of talk about programs and budgets that align with our vision.  What if vision, budgets, and programs just become an easy way for the "church" to do what I should be doing as an individual?

And I get that we are the church.  But maybe this drive to find a vision is a way to justify church structure, staff, budget, buildings, and programs.

What if the real vision is not corporate but individual.  Serving, sharing Jesus, social justice, mission.  What if all of these are an individual call?

And maybe the "church's vision" is to motivate and inspire us to live out our individual vision in this world.  Maybe the call of the church is to live in community so we have support and accountability to live the individual vision.

I know a grand church vision supported by programs and budgets is easier than my having to personally live true to God's vision every day.  But are we missing the point?

Well, just thinking out loud.  But are we asking the wrong question?

Your thoughts welcome.

Comments:
Other thoughts for you to answer (JK).... What if your vision doesn't match up with your particular church's vision? If it doesn't, should you leave and will those left behind fully understand the reasons for leaving. Should the church's vision be inclusive or exclusive of it's majority? That being said, if the church's vision or purpose is to develop or enchance the individual's visions, should it tackle those who don't have a vision or those that need further development or jump aboard those who are considered its leaders. Thanks for allowing me to share my mind.
 
It has always been my interpretation that the commands in the Bible were first and foremost given to the individual- you are going to be judged on what you have done.

Anytime you pay salaries, and have expenses it is a business, this includes churches. Are you going to be judged by a what a business accomplished or what you accomplished?

If you are not a part of the paid staff, you are a volunteer. I have been a member of many organizations, they are all the same,unite for the good of the common goal, business-social identification. As an individual,you do what you can to promote those goals within the organization you have chosen to identify with. This does not preclude what you are held accountable for as an individual.

I learned a long time ago,it was just me and God.

Just my thoughts....
 
If the vision is really about the individual hearing God's call in his life, then the church does not have to have an vision that forces everyone to "buy-in" or not. Interesting to think thru how to help an individual find their vision. Really good thoughts.

Eloise -- yes. It is too easy to worry about how the "business" is doing and lose sight of the fact that we are judged as individuals.

By the way, loved the picures. So Marsha said for Eloise to send your last name, address, and email to her. Since you may not want everything public, just send to my work email. sridgell@heraldoftruth.org and I'll forward to her.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?