Thursday, January 31, 2013

 

This church is a bad church

You have heard it and seen it too.  People who leave a church and then in groups, Facebook, blogs, or other public settings will bash that congregation.  Let me share things I have heard.

Those elders don't listen.  What they really mean is I told the elders what I think and they don't see it my way.  So they don't listen.

You can't get fed there.  Or grow there.  If you have been a Christian more than just a couple of years, maybe you ought to feeding yourself.  If you have been a Christian for several years, you ought to be feeding others.  

They will never change. Translation:  I want things done the way I want them and they won't do it.

All they want to do is change everything.  Translation:  I want things done the way I want them and they won't do it.

No one helped me when I needed it.  Hard to visit you in the hospital when you don't let me know you are there.  

They weren't there for me.  You wanted the church to approve certain decisions you were making and we could not.  

They are all judgmental.  What you really meant to say was, I can't believe they wouldn't take my side.

All they care about is money.  So you don't give and don't want us to talk about that part of the Bible.

Almost every criticism of church that I hear is about "I".  Here is the thing complainers have to face:  it is not about you.  It is about God and Jesus.  What they think matters much more than what you think.  It is about the body of believers.  Church does not revolve around you.  By definition, church is not a solo act.  And finally, I would say church is about growth.  I don't mean troop transfer (you know, getting some of the Lord's army to transfer to us).  I mean reaching lost people.

But can't some of these be valid?  Of course, and if you are convicted by Scripture and your heart that you have to leave... well, go.  But people that leave out of real conviction do not say those kind of harsh things in public.  They might express them privately, but usually even then only when asked.

Finally, how does it help the kingdom to bash the place that used to be your church home?  How can that possibly please God?

But, people leave churches.  OK.  If you need to, or you are unhappy, or another place "fits" you better.  Your decision.  but don't try to justify it by tearing down others.

God help us to care more about each other. God forgive us all when we have said harmful and thoughtless things about your people.  Help us to lift each other up.

After all, Satan will enough bashing of the church.  Don't help him.

Comments:
Reading your blog I could not help but wonder, are these complaints more common in cities where you have multiple choices of the same religious beliefs? Are thses the same complaints you encountered in a small one Church of Christ town?
 
We hear the same thing in small one Church of Christ town! peace

 
These are complaints made by people of all religions about all kinds of churches. It doesn't matter the denomination. These are not issues just at Churches of Christ. Thank you, Steve, for addressing these common church complaints because we've all heard them before. Your responses rightly put the burden on the complainer to adjust their attitude or make more of an effort reach out and solve problems.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?