Wednesday, May 29, 2013

 

Caleb died and reminded me what matters.

Caleb Martin died.  He was late 20's, about to get engaged, and was turning the corner spiritually.  He was going to church, talking about loving God, and becoming the man God wanted him to be.  He was a great athlete, a fitness freak, and building a couple of businesses.

I knew him from Southern Hills.  His Dad and I are good friends.  Chip and Janet have a great testimony themselves of how God works in our lives.  Caleb was baptized as a teenager at Southern Hills.

He was living in Austin and they found him unresponsive in his bed one Saturday morning.

Stephen Corbett, his youth minister, and I did the funeral at Southern Hills.

And here is what Caleb helped me remember.

I am not God.  I don't understand.  It doesn't seem right or fair.  I don't know how to make sense of this.  So I am reminded that I am not in charge.  I am not in control.  I am not God.

This is a fallen world.  It is a world where death exists.  It is a world where Satan wants to use death as our enemy.

Jesus wins.  He overcame death.  Because of Jesus, I believe that Caleb lives.  I believe that his family will see him again because they believe in the One who overcame death.

We can all come home.  Like many young people, Caleb had to find his way.  He had to figure out if they faith of his youth would be what mattered as an adult.  And he did.

I am still on the journey home.  Just like Caleb.  In a different place, but walking on the same road.  The road home.

So glad for a community of faith.  The Martins were loved on, visited, prayed for, hugged, honored at the funeral, and cried with.  The parents, sister, niece, and girlfriend/about to be fiancee are not walking alone.  Their faith community is still walking with them.

Life's short for all of us.  You never know when this life is going to be over.  So let's all stay pointed in the right direction.

So thanks Caleb for lessons learned.  Didn't want to be reminded this way, but you are where I want to be.

So come Lord Jesus.

Someday.  Soon.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?