Friday, May 03, 2013

 

My Dad turned 85 and doesn't know it...

Last Wednesday was my Dad's 85th birthday and he doesn't know it.  I don't mean that he doesn't act his age.  He was that way for years.  Healthier and stronger than most men his age.  But now it is that he doesn't process it.  I called and sang happy birthday and he thanked me.  My Mom said he knew it was his birthday but he thought he was 45.  Interesting since I am 61.

Alzheimer's.  It has taken most of the Dad I have always known.  I see little hints of my Dad:  he says I love you, he can still ask about my family -- even when he can't remember any details about them.  He knows I talk about Jesus but can't remember exactly where or how.

But I have thought a lot about his kingdom purpose now.  After all, he no longer can serve as an elder.  He can't teach Bible class.  He doesn't study with non-Christians any more.

 So let me tell why my Dad still has value.

His voice still communicates.  Every time I talk to him I remember.  I know what he would say if he could.

He is the means for my Mom to be a living witness of a faithful wife.  For better or worse.  She is literally giving her life to take care of him.  It is a life testimony.  Her commitment speaks Jesus into a world that does not sacrificially love.

He provides an opportunity for their church to serve.  Some bring by meals.  Some bring by communion.  Some send cards.  Some drop in to visit even when they can't really visit.  Last time they went to a primetimers meeting, they got a standing ovation.

It lets my sister give back.  She and her husband drop in, visit ,sit with Dad, run errands with Mom.  When I called to sing Happy Birthday, they were there bringing cake.  That's what family does.

It lets Marsha and I prepare for our future.  Both sides of Marsha's family live a long time and in their right mind.  Not my family.  Not on either side.  My Mom is about the only relative I remember who kept their mind past 80.  I may not go senile.  Or, depending on how you like my preaching, I may already be senile.  :)
But if my folks are a glimpse of our future, then what a great example.  Like they have been for so much of my life.

So my Dad can't understand this post.  But I love him.  He still is of value to the Kingdom.  It's just in a different way.

So happy 85th Pap.  Love you.  And thank you God for the lessons I'm still learning from him.

Comments:
He is truly a great man. He and Juanita were great influences on me and Richard at Trinity Heights.

It was a blessing to live on Falling Leaves in Duncanville, just down the street from them for several years.

He will always make a difference in many lives, and so will his children.
Linda Blaisdell Doyle
 
I remember back on the few times I met your Dad, and what stands out was his presence, and the kindness and love that he radiated to those around him. You are blessed to have had such an powerful example of what a Dad should be in your life.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?