Tuesday, June 11, 2013

 

I think multi-generational church may be better for our youth...

This is not what we have been doing.  It started with youth ministry as the way to "keep" our kids engaged in church.  Youth programs, youth devos, youth mission trips, and youth service projects.  Some even went so far as to have youth worship services.  And after years of youth ministry, we still have a lot of young people who leave home and are not faithful to Jesus.

I think we were wrong.

I am not even sure I like Bible school segregated so much by age/grade.  Or our adult classes being so segregated:  young marrieds, young families, youth parents, empty nesters, 39ers.

I do understand the value of having some special activities for specific age groups.  I just think it is dangerous to convey a message that says to young people that they are too special to be with everyone else.  If not careful, they never grow out of the "cater to me in church" mentality.

Here are some of the things that got me to wondering if we were wrong.

In spite of decades of youth ministers/ministry, youth rallies, youth this and that... we didn't do very well instilling faith in our kids.

Some of the most active, faithful, and engaged college students I have ever worked with came from small churches that really didn't have a youth program.  In fact, I think the % of faithful young people from small churches is higher than from our large congregations.  

There just isn't much about youth ministry in the Scripture.

There is a lot about family ministry in Scripture.

Multi-generational learning is all thru Scripture.  Passover, Timothy.  Read Deuteronomy 6.

So I think we need to re-think how we engage multiple generations together in church life and ministry.

I think small groups that emphasize family involvement is one way.

I like the current thinking that emphasizes family ministry, involving parents with their teens.

I like multi-generational service projects and mission trips.

But this has to be intentional.

And better minds than mine will have to figure out how we reverse almost 50 years of the wrong model.

One other thing.  I know that many churches have youth programs that are Biblical, evangelistic, and produce faithful young people.  But my question is this: is it because of the youth programs, or because they simply supplemented strong families and healthy churches?

Well, my kids are grown so I guess this is not as front burner in my life as it could be.  And all my grandkids are being intentionally raised in faith by their parents.  But I do think about the ramifications of this for them.  And I am still an elder at a large church with lots and lots and lots of babies thru teenagers.

So let's figure this out.

God give us wisdom.



Comments:
As I read your post I immediately wondered if in general do larger (churches, cities, etc.)equate to a more stimulated, curious, population vs. traditions about religion, etc. that are held on to so tightly in a small community?

Shortly after Bob and I moved to our first small town, we were at a cook-out, and one of the "church ladies" told me "in a small town you depend on people for entertainment, and in a large city you depend on things to entertain yourself". My first thought on hearing this declaration was which was my preference???

Add 40 years and the internet, and you can begin to understand why people question, or leave the religous life style they were brought up with, especially if they are now living in a larger city.

You now have researh at your fingertips 24-7 to ask, and receive questions about everything-including multiple religous beliefs and investigate how a certain religion makes you feel, and think as to what you were taught earlier. Just because they are not going to the Church of Christ does not mean they are not religious.

Just my thoughts.....
 
one of the most meaningful parts of our small congregation in Abilene is that many ages come together for all kinds of events, small groups, telling of stories, working together on meal times, our young girls even came to our ladies retreat, letting the younger pray over the older. i love the experience God has allowed us to have. thank you for your reminder
 
If you are going to involve multiple generations then allow both genders to participate too. Professional, educated women should not be banned because of their gender. A lot of young cofC women have left because they were not willing to be second class Christians nor did they want their daughters being banned from speaking when young boys were allowed to.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?