Tuesday, June 18, 2013

 

It's hard for a giver to be a taker...

It is not a secret that our family is way over on the giver side of the spectrum.  Marsha is constantly helping her parents, my parents, the kids, and the grands.  We learned it from our parents.  Our kids learned it from us.  I think their kids will learn it from them.

But we are not good at taking.  We don't ask for help.  We say "nothing" when people ask what they can do for us.

And I think we are wrong.

I am learning to appreciate people who give to us.  I learned that lesson over the past few days.

I am watching my Mom learn to take help that is available for my Dad.  He has Alzhiemers.  Her church family has been great at visiting, bringing food, and offering to help.  She doesn't want it, thinks she doesn't need it, but she is learning to accept it and be thankful.  I keep telling her that people are doing for them what they did for others for years and years.

I should listen to what I am am telling her.

Marsha's folks are letting us take care of them.  Still don't want to admit they need it.  Still don't like it.  But they let us.  They thank us over and over again for working at the farm, taking them to the Doctor, doing their yard, and running all their errands.

I need to file that away because I will be there soon.

And then Jake got sick.  Our 7 year old grandson.  And he is sick and I can't fix it.  He has Kawasaki disease and are starting treatment today.  I believe he will get well, but I / we have been overwhelm by the people who are praying for him, for Julie and Bobby, and for Mimi.  They know Jake needs healing, so they pray.

They know the two year battle Julie has had with her health and they pray for her strength deal with this.

They know this is horrible for Bobby and they pray for him.

They know Mimi is an exhausted care giver and the pray for her.

They even pray for me, tho mostly I stand around and take credit for what my family does.  :)

So as hard as this is, I am learning to accept gifts of love from God's people.

So keep praying that the treatment works for Jake and that his heart is not damaged.  And pray for his parents to have strength. And for Avery not to be forgotten in this (special thanks to Aunt Jamie for coming down and making her part of your crew this week).

Keep visiting our folks.

Keep bringing meals to the Herttenbergers and Gilbreths.  They have freezers so bring it.  It helps.

Not sure we will ever learn to ask for help, not sure we will ever admit we need it.  But we are sure learning to be thankful.

So thanks to pray-ers, cookers, visitors, huggers, writers, and workers.  It is appreciated.

From one giver to a bunch of other givers.

Love you.

Comments:
I am truly sorry to hear that Jake is so sick, and I cannot imagine the stress on your family at this time.

As you wait on the blessings of your Creator, and prayers to be answered, may the goodness you have given in life, be returned to you and yours at this time.

Always with love to you and yours-
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?