Thursday, June 13, 2013

 

What do our young people really get from us?

I am convinced faithful young people are produced by real, genuine, authentic experiences that show Jesus.

Too often what we give them are isolated, contrived, structured, well produced experiences that are more image than reality.

Here are some potential ways I think that happens.

Service projects.  We ask our young people to be part of a one day, or even a one week, project.  If this is all they see, they never understand that service is a lifestyle attitude.  If not careful, the project is more about the youth group experience than about the people we are serving.

Youth worship.  When these are done in ways that really relate to the perceived needs and desires of young people, it becomes easy for them to think that worship is really all about them.  So worship that does not cater to them is seen as dull and not meaningful.

Youth fellowship.  Spending the majority of time together has the potential to develop young people that are very narrow in their thinking and very selfish in their expectations of what fellowship really is.

I am not against Christian young people having some of these experiences together.  I am concerned about their only church experiences being primarily with only other teens.

I think families that are part of a smaller fellowship group (formal or informal) that includes the entire family is very effective.  By the way, I think this even extends to younger children than our teenagers.  This is a wonderful way to experience deeper fellowship that is ongoing.  It is an excellent way to experience real worship and communion.  And maybe that is why smaller churches sometimes produce a higher percentage of healthy, faithful disciples.  And why larger congregations may have to be more intentional about this.

So as you can tell from my last post and this one, I am suggesting that our teens be integrated into congregational life in real ways.  And I don't think the obvious place to do this is in the main worship assembly and in a targeted program.

I think it happens in homes, in families, and in smaller groups.  That is where our teens can be involved in real Bible study.  They can see what sharing Jesus means.  They can learn how to help each other thru struggles.

Because I think our teens need guidance.  I think they need teaching.  I think they need help.  I am not sure they can get it by themselves.  Or just thru a youth minister just out of college.  I think they need parents.  And grandparents.  And each other.  And young family role models.

So let's connect them to all these influences.

They will experience real, honest, authentic Christianity.  And when they do, they will stick with it.

That is what they are looking for.  Not entertainment.  Not things geared to them.  But things that matter, that make a difference... things that are real.

I think that is what they are looking for.

And they will see that in church. Not just youth church, but in all the church.



    

Comments:
I still believe strong support from a christian community that makes you accountable for your decisions is good,(small towns, small churches,people,etc.) It can also be suffocating.

Allowing young people to experience life,ask questions, and decide why you feel strongly about your religion is necessary for spiritual growth. It is unfortunate that you feel the experiences that you have offered so far are "isolated, contrived, structured, and more image that reality".

If a no is not possible, than a yes is of no value, free will has to be allowed.

At what age do you allow someone to choose what they feel serves their religous needs? How many inclusive church services,are enought?
 
Hey Eloise. I hadn't really thought about the small town. I guess I was thinking just in terms of church life. I do think young people have to be allowed to ask their questions. And they have a right to expect honest answers. I do think that is better handled when older Christians who love them can share their wisdom. In turn, that equips young people to maintain their faith when they leave home -- and their home church.

Good question about age. I think I would say when they are independent. I guess when they leave home. I don't know about how many. Sometimes I think every service should be age inclusive.

Wish I had more answers, and less questions.

Blessings.
 
If you do permit them to ask questions then be prepared for some very difficult questions where there might not be Only one correct answer. Some of these questions do not have correct answers but acceptable solutions. By all means give them an honest answer.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?