Tuesday, June 25, 2013

 

Why did they ask me to speak on aging... and what do I say?

I'll be at MacArthur Park Church of Christ in San Antonio tomorrow night to speak on the topic of ... AGING.  So you have to wonder if they asked me because I am good preacher, or because I have four aging parents I am dealing with... or is it because someone said get an old preacher to talk about aging?

Well, it really doesn't matter because I am committed to it now.  And here are a couple of thoughts about Christians getting old.

We need old Christians.  We need their wisdom.  They have been there, done that, seen it all.  They don't over-react.  We need prayer warriors.  They know God answers prayer.  They are good at praying.  They have time to pray.  It may be all they can do -- and it really is the best thing anyone can do.  We need to see living witnesses of faithful living.  I love to see couples married for 50, 60, 70 years.  We need to hold them up before our young marrieds and our young people.

We have to take care of them.  God expects us to take care of our family.  If you are consumed with caring for aging parents, understand that you are being a faithful Christian.  That is a valuable ministry that God has called you to.

But here is my real conviction about old Christians -- even this old preacher.  Psalm 71:18.

Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come.

That was my call when I was a young preacher.  It is still my call and the call of every parent, grandparent, and great-grandparent.  To tell the next generations of God's mighty power.

So when you get a chance to visit with your grands, or with the teens at church, and you tell them of the good old days -- be sure the good old days are the stories of what God did in your life.

And when you worry about the younger generation and you want to know what to do to influence them, here it is.  Tell them of the mighty power of God.

Till the day we die, that is our mission, that is our call, that is our life.

And with my last breath -- whether tomorrow night in San Antonio or 40 years from now -- I will be speaking of the mighty power of God.

That is the legacy I commit to leave to those following behind me:  in my family, in my church, and in my world.

Our God is mighty in power.  To save, to heal, to redeem, to give life, to bring us home to him forever.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?