Wednesday, July 10, 2013

 

How my son Joe Don still makes me happy and proud after 35 years...

For those of you who know Joe Don, I know this is late.  His birthday was actually almost 2 weeks ago but I was out of pocket for much of these past few days.  But as you know, I always write a tribute on the family birthdays.  Part of that is pride, and part of it is to give those of you who don't know all of my family a chance to know something about them.  The main reason is for them to know that I love them and am proud of them.  And maybe to remind you to publicly praise those you love.

So here are just a few of the reasons I love JD and am so proud of him.

He lives his faith.  He is intentional about spiritual growth, prayer, and study.  What you see is what you get. He really does love people, his family, and his God.

He is a good husband.  Every time his wife Jamie talks about how blessed she is to be his wife, it reminds me that he really gets it.  God is first in his life, but Jamie comes in above everything and everyone else.

He is a great Dad.  I love to be at their house when Daddy comes home.  The kids run to hug, kiss, and love on their Dad. He is fun, funny, and affectionate with them.  Most important, he is intentional about instilling faith in them.  So he spends time with all of them.  He leads his family to Jesus.

He is a gifted teacher.  Probably a better Bible class teacher than I am.  My greatest compliment is to go speak somewhere and have someone tell me they have heard Joe Don teach and they hope I am just half as good as he is.

He is successful professionally, but that is not what matters to him.  What matters is that he can be a good steward of the blessings God has given them.  He really gets the whole vocational ministry idea.

He is still not too old to hang out with his Dad.  We still fish together (tho not as often as we should :), still play golf (even tho he needs to give me about 3 shots a hole), and we still go to ballgames together (tho now he pays his own way).

So JD... I could not be prouder of the man you are.  Now I am learning from you.  For 35 years you have brought joy into my life.  From the day you were born, I have prayed over, with, or for you every day.  Still do.  And God has -- and does -- answer.

And now you get to raise your 2 boys.  And I love watching you do it.

Thanks God for a blessing beyond what I could ever deserve or could have imagined.

Love you JD.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?