Thursday, September 12, 2013

 

I had a milestone birthday...

This time it was my birthday.  I turned 62 yesterday.  This will not be a post on why I love me and am proud of me, but I do want to share a few reflections.

Evidently 62 is a big deal.  Several people told me I could take early retirement -- though at least it wasn't my boss :).  And that led to a few questions about retirement.

So here it is.  I don't think about retirement.  Retirement for me will just be about financial arrangements, not function.  I think I will pretty much do what I do now as long as I am able.

So here it is.

Talk about Jesus.  It is what I was put here to do.  That's the function of all us believers.  It may be that someday I won't be asked to preach as much as I am now, or I may find myself teaching a really small Bible class.  Maybe I won't preach every Wednesday night.  But I will talk about Jesus until the day I can't.

Hang out with family.  I love my wife, my kids, and my grands.  Every year gets better.  I like being with them, I enjoy their friends, and I like them.  Not just love them, but like them.

Love people. Value old friends.  Make new friends.  Help people.

If the Lord wills, I expect I'll be doing the same thing till I'm 70.  Maybe he'll bless me with the chance to be active till 80.

But for now, it was just another good day.  Hung out with Mimi Marsha.  Heard from the kids and the grands.  Ate well.  Preached. Heard from lots of friends. Loved God.

Was reminded how good God has been.  If I had died yesterday, it would have been a good day.  Because I know the future... not the next 20 or 30 years, but the real future.

So I'll just keep on keeping on like I have been.

Thanks God for the blessing of 62 years.  Thanks for letting me still be healthy and active.  I'll keep telling people about you.  Till the time comes when we won't even count birthdays.  Then we'll hang out till everyone else gets home.  And then forever together.

Comments:
I have often thought friends are a lot like chairs. They support you so you do not fall, and they stabilize you when you are weak. Some are padded, and provide comfort, some are rigid and uncomfortable. Some are big, and some very small, but they are all there for you when you need a break. They support you until you can get up and go again.

As you remember the many "chairs" you have sat in over the years, I hope it brings you pleasure and warm memories and strength to continue on your journey. Happy Birthday.
 
Great insight. That would make a great devotional message. And by the way, thanks for always being a friend. :) Blessings

 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?