Thursday, September 19, 2013

 

Your work is your witness

My fellowship (churches of Christ) used to loudly proclaim the concept of "every member ministry".  That is, we believed that every member was a minister of Jesus Christ in this world.

I wonder if we have lost that.  I know that in our larger congregations, it is rare for anyone other than professional ministers to lead worship.  I am disturbed by that trend, but even more I am bothered that we talk of our salaried members as having a ministry calling.  That, of course, implies that those that work in the world do not have that same calling.

Wrong.

Work, employment, labor... that is true ministry in the world.

That is where true Christian witness happens.

People witness our Christian integrity at work.  We work as if we are employed by God.  We are honest, we do not cut corners, and we are ethical.  Bosses should be thrilled to hire a Christian, knowing that he will get an "above and beyond" worker.

We live out our Christian world view in the midst of non-believers.  We do not laugh at the same jokes as others do, we do not flirt -- or worse -- with others in our work place.  We are scrupulous with our expense accounts.

We testify to God's grace.  When we do not live up to our Christian commitment, we apologize, we explain that is not who we want to be, and we change behavior.

I have worked for several churches.  I now work for a Christian non-profit doing evangelistic work.  But I have also worked at what we would call secular jobs.  I love working in a Christian environment.  But I miss the challenge of every day engagement with those who do not know Jesus.  I so appreciate those who witness in the marketplace.

Truth be told... it may be that the true sacred vocation is not in full-time, financially supported ministry.  True sacred vocation may be in full time ministry supported by the place you work.

Church supported ministers end up doing most of their witness in front of fellow believers.  That does not change the world.  But those of you who live your faith in the midst of a broken, fallen world... well, you are changing it.

You are the true full-time ministers.  I would even argue that you are our truest missionaries.

May God bless your ministry.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?