Thursday, October 10, 2013

 

Gary Cleveland is home

I wrote last week about my friend Gary and his cancer.  He went home yesterday.

Our relationship actually started when a group of young married couples from Southern Hills met in our living room almost 40 years ago to talk about planting a church in the Midwest.  We did not all go but eventually two couples from Southern Hills went to Oshkosh, WI.  They were joined in that work by Gary and Deb Cleveland.  Gary had been preaching in the Midwest and they wanted to be part of what God was going to do in the Upper Midwest.

I helped Gary and Deb get support through the Duncanville Church of Christ.  In fact, my Dad was the elder who met with the Clevelands and shepherded them thru the process.

Gary has been preaching at Oshkosh ever since.  Tremendous influence all over the Midwest.  He and Deb have been a great team for the Lord.  Working with marriages, leading people to Jesus, mentoring young preachers and their wives.

I got to reconnect with them last year at the Upper Midwest Preachers Retreat.  Gary has been one of the organizers for several years and invited me to speak at the retreat and at the Oakhaven church in Oshkosh.  It had been 30 years since I had spoken in Oshkosh.

Great time.  We talked about Gary's cancer.  He was in remission.  We praised God.  Talked about kids and grandkids and ministry.

Shortly after that, Gary's cancer returned.  He, Deb, and the Drs. at the Mayo Clinic fought it.  They were covered in prayers asking for healing.

God did not answer the way I wanted.  But He answered.  He delivered Gary home.  Through it all, Gary was resolute, faithful, a living witness to God's love, and an example of what it means to know this world is not my home.

I won't be at the funeral Saturday.  I'm going to be preaching down in Houston.  Gary will like that.

So another preaching buddy has gone home.  But he leaves a legacy of faith.  He inspires me to keep telling the story.  And I'll see him again.

Till then...

Comments:
Thank you for sharing the story of your friendship with Gary.

Comfort and peace to all who grieve his loss during this difficult time.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?