Thursday, October 03, 2013

 

God, Gary, James, and me...

I have two good friends who were recently diagnosed with cancer.  Serious, end of life kind of cancer.  The kind would require God's healing.

James is part of my local church flock.  Gary and I have been preaching buddies for almost 40 years and recently got to reconnect over a week long preacher's retreat.

James is around 50 and Gary around 60.

James had no idea he had cancer till he went in for a routine physical.  Gary had already survived one bout with cancer.

Gary and James have both been covered in prayer all over the country... and all over the world.  Marsha and I have prayed constantly for God to heal both of these friends.

This week the Doctors told James it looked like his cancer was in remission.  See you in three months.

This week the Doctors told Gary he had just a few weeks left in this life.  Nothing else we can do.

Same God.  Same intense prayers for healing.  Right now it appears there are two different answers.

Why?

So let me share a few things I am learning from my two friends.

We live our faith in different ways.  Sometimes we witness to the power of God's healing in this life. Sometimes we witness by demonstrating our belief that their is more to life than this world.

Both of my friends were testifying to God's faithfulness before they got their diagnosis, during their treatment, and after they got the news.  Both of them.

I am not God.  I wonder why there were two different answers to my prayers.  God could explain it, but he doesn't have to.  Because he is God.  And even if he did, I might not understand it.  I might try to convince him to give what I want... that my preference is better than whatever grand scheme he is orchestrating.

So I marvel at the faith of James and Gary.  And of their wives, Teri and Deb.  And their kids.

And I realize more and more that this world is not my home.

I hate Satan and the fact that we live in a fallen world.

I love that God wins anyhow... even over death.

And I will live forever with James and Gary.  For all I know, I may the first one to get to heaven.  And when we are all there, I am going to introduce James and Gary.  They have a lot in common.

So I will cherish the time here with people I love.  I will keep telling everyone I know the story of Jesus.

And I will use the story of James, and the story of Gary, to invite people to join us.

God thanks for healing James.  And I still ask you to heal Gary.  But I do know that all of us submit to you. We love you.  We praise you.  And we look forward to the day when we all live together forever with you.

Comments:
It is hard to let go of the people you love, it breaks your heart. I speak from experience, I lost a great friend in May, worst day of my life.

I like you, know this is only a tempory stop in the grand plan, and to die is gain. I wish you and your friends strength, and love on the new adventure that is before us all.

It is always hardest on the ones left behind.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?