Thursday, October 17, 2013

 

How I decide who to help first...

I have a very clear set of priorities as to who I help.  I do not believe everyone in need is on an equal footing when I decide who to help.

My family comes first.  God says that I am worse than a non-believer if I will not take care of my family.  That is my obligation and responsibility.  They come first.  In fact, according to I Timothy 5:8 I have renounced my faith if I do not care for my family.

They come first.

Second, I help my church family, my fellow Christians.  We need to do good for everyone but especially those in our Christian family. That is what Paul says in Galatians 6:10. So if people are in need, I work first to see that my physical family is taken care of, then my next priority is to see to my spiritual family.

Then after these two priorities, I try to help my fellow man.

So this is how that works out in real time in my life.

Let's imagine that my wife's parents need their yard mowed (they are not able to do it themselves), and I also know that one of our church members had surgery and their yard needs mowing.  And my church is doing a major house remodel in one of our poor neighborhoods.

And I have time Saturday to work.  Which one do I do?

I am doing my in-law's yard first, my church friend's yard second.  If I have time and energy left, I'll help with the neighborhood project.

If a tornado strikes Abilene and I have time and money to use in clean-up, I am taking care of my family first. That's what Christians do.  Then I am going to work to ensure all of my church families are helped.  Then I will start in on the neighborhood and community needs.

So if you think I am saying that some people are more important to me than others... you are right.

My family, my church family, my neighbors.

Feel free to share how you prioritize helping others with your time and money.

Comments:
I would hate to have the burden of having to feel the need to create a priority sysstem of giving of my time, my money, my love and kindness.

I know that if I could not meet my family's needs in time of diaster, sickness or death, that some kind hearted, loving stranger who loves God as much as I do, would step in and take my place.

I would pray that my time would be spent taking care of whatever need was before me. I would ask God for kindness, love, and compassion to bestow on the stranger in need, and be thankful for the opportunity to show God's love.

My faith in God gives me that peace of mind.


 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?