Tuesday, October 22, 2013

 

Well Done ACU Class of '73

We were like many young college kids.  We were going to change the world.  We were going to make a difference for Jesus.

And it has been 40 years.  I know because we just had our Abilene Christian University class of 1973 Reunion.

It was hard to even register for the event at first.  I kept checking the website link and wondering who all the old people were.  It was my class.

The event was fun.  And bittersweet.

There was some pain and sadness in the room.  Several of our classmates have died.  But sweet because most of them were Christians so they are enjoying a much better reunion.

Lots of us were celebrating 35-40 years of marriage.  But several shared the pain of divorce and shattered dreams.

The guys all looked old.  Most of the girls did not.  Marsha especially enjoyed pointing to me that she was younger (she was a whole 2 years behind us in school).

But here is what struck me about that night.

We were at a table with 4 other couples.  Just at our table there were three elders.  There was a preacher.  There were two couples heavily involved in medical missions in hard places.

At the next table, there was another elder and another preacher.  And another person involved in a project that makes a difference in women's lives overseas.

There was a missionary at the table next to that one.  The same table where one my classmates has three children in full-time ministry.

The table next to that had another classmate who provides medical services for underprivileged families.  

One of my classmates has taught two of my grandchildren.  She was a great influence in their lives.

Several of my classmates have children now grown with families of their own that worship where I am an elder.

It made me realize something.

We did it.  We made a difference.  We are still making a difference.  People all over this world know Jesus because of what we have done.  Because of what we are doing.

So well done ACU class of 1973.

I am proud to be part of you.

To God be the glory.

Comments:
Wonderful observation; gave me chills. Thanks!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?