Friday, November 08, 2013

 

The Family Farm...

Yesterday was a special day.  JH Farms was recognized in the Texas State Family Land Heritage Program.  What that means is that Marsha's family has owned, operated, and worked the same farm for over 100 years (110 to be exact).

Marsha and I are the 5th generation to work on the home place.  Over the years there has been a lot of wheat, peanuts, cotton, and cattle raised on that place.  It was originally around 200 acres and now is around 500.
 
Marsha's folks, Don and Jean Herttenberger, could not make the trip yesterday. Their health is just not up to it, so we represented the family.  And it caused me to reflect on a few things.

Family is a big deal.  I was blessed to marry into the Herttenbergers and Don has especially meant a lot to me. He is my other Dad.  For the last of years we went to the farm together almost every week to work. Over time, he could not work as much but he could still tell me what needed doing.  Those were good times talking about farming, sports, and church.  And lots of talk about Jesus and family.

He doesn't make that trip as often now.  Marsha goes with me and I go some by myself.  It is not the same.

There is something spiritual about farming and ranching.  Maybe it goes back to the creation and fall.  Restoration and redemption.  Seeds buried and raised.. Working the land.  Depending on God to send rain.  Trusting Him to provide.  And by the way, great cotton crop this year.  :)  We lease out the farming part of the operation now.  So it is not our crop exactly.  But it is on our land, so yeah ... a good harvest is a big deal.

I love the legacy of the land.  I hope the farm stays in the family and someday some of our kids or grandkids are getting recognized for 150 years of owning and operating JH farms.  Marsha might even still be around. I'll be watching from heaven.

And that's the better legacy.  The legacy of faith.  That is what I am so happy to see in our kids.  And I am starting to see in our grands.  Owning and operating the family faith.  Making it their own.  Passed down from generation to generation.

Knowing Jesus and sharing him in this world,

I love the legacy of the family farm.

I love the legacy of the family faith more.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?