Tuesday, November 26, 2013

 

Why I Stay at Southern Hills

Here is why I (and I really mean we) stay at Southern Hills.

There is a passion for reaching our world for Jesus that is deep and real.  We are involved in missions and planning to do more.  That has been true of us for as long as I can remember.  Lots of our members go (both long term and short), give, and pray.

But it is not just lost people in other places.  We care about the lost people in our neighborhoods and that we work with.  We reach non-church people.  More and more all the time.

What is happening among the local Bhutanese is amazing.  I would not be surprised if the next big SH announcement was to raise money to invest in that outreach.

In fact, I have no hesitation in telling people that the vision at SH is to make disciples.  Some teach and baptize, some help disciple, lots more give and pray.  I love a church that "gets it".  And we do.

Our roots are deep at Southern Hills.  Marsha's family showed up there just a couple of months after the move to our present location.  We were married there.  I was the first full-time Youth Minister.  Deep roots.

We are a church of the Book.  Our preachers have been men that spoke out of Scripture.  Our elders study together.  Just since I have been an elder we have studied qualifications of elders, baptism, worship, what matters, core convictions, instruments in worship, and passages that relate to those struggling with sin in their lives.  Southern Hills believes in Bible class more than Sunday School.

We are place where messed up Christians can come home.  We are a Prodigal Son congregation.  Some in town say we are the place where all the screw ups are welcome.  They may mean it in a bad way.  I take it as a compliment.  All screw-ups are welcome.  Welcome to be healed.  Not welcome to stay messed up.

We care about each other.  We show up in hospitals and at funerals.  We pray, sing, cook, and hold each other.  We cry and laugh together.

I have had my feelings hurt badly at Southern Hills.  That may seem like a strange reason to stay, but here is the deal.  I survived it.  I know that the love we feel far outweighs the hurt feelings.  And hurt feelings happen to everyone in every congregation if you get involved and stay around long enough.  Already happened here, so why go thru it somewhere else?

I know all the problems.  And boy, do we have some.  I stay because I know them.  Not because I think I can fix them, but because I know we are not perfect.  If we went somewhere else, I would have to learn the problems they have.  And there would be problems.  At any church.  There just aren't any perfect ones.

So will we always stay at Southern Hills?  I think so.  But SH is not Jesus.  It is a group of his people.  Hard to imagine, but if our mission and vision changed from seeking and saving the lost... or if we quit valuing what Scripture said, or if the core convictions changed -- well, I guess we would leave.

But right now these are the reasons why we are at Southern Hills.  Loving our family, reaching people for Jesus.

It's home.

  



Comments:
Steve, you are so right: no church is perfect. The church is made up of saved sinners who strive to follow Jesus. We love Southern Hills also because of the vision of the church to make disciples & the outreach to others. Thanks for sharing your story.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?