Thursday, December 12, 2013

 

Happy birthday to my other Dad, Don Herttenberger

Grandpa turned 86 a couple of days ago.  He is Marsha's Dad, my father-in-law.  Here is why I love him.

He is what a Christian man looks like.  He loves God and Jesus.  He loves his family.  He loves his church. He loves this world and wants them to know about Jesus.

He loves the farm.  He can't work it anymore.  He can't even drive to it anymore.  So I take him.  I have learned to love it too.  Been in the family 110 years.  There is something about farming, faith, and family that is special.

He raised Marsha.  He passed his faith on to her.  Then he gave her to me.  I am forever thankful for that.

He is a generous man.  Gives to church.  Helps people in need.  They have fed many people over the years.

But here is why I love him most of all.

He is my Dad too.

My Dad has Alzheimers.  So I really can't ask his advice or counsel anymore.

But for the last several years, Don has been my Dad.  He is the one I talk sports with.  He is the one I gripe to about church.  He is the who I listen to.

He would never serve Southern Hills as an elder.  They asked him to many times.  But I share elder stuff with him.  I ask his advice.  It is always sound, spiritual, and practical. He is my shepherd and I am one of the elders, so... maybe he really is an elder at Southern Hills.

Lots of people at church talk about me and my Dad.  They know he is Marsha's Dad but lots of people talk about us like we were father and son.

Nicest compliment I could have.

So thanks Grandpa for still raising me.  I would happy to be the half the man you are.

Love you.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?