Tuesday, January 28, 2014

 

How many hours should ministers work?

A couple of years ago I had a preacher call me and inform me that I had said something that was insulting to ministers.  Since I think I am a fan of ministers, I was quite concerned.  And I did appreciate the fact that he called me.  Not sure he wanted to have a conversation, but he did want to talk to me and he expected me to listen.

Here is what upset him.  And I guess insulted his circle of preaching buddies.  I think ministers should work 55-60 hours per week.  I don't think it is insulting to believe that.  Or to say it.  Or to expect ministers to do it.

Most members work 40 (or 40+) hours per week.  We expect them to assemble with the saints.  We would like them to be in a small group.  They should be studying their Bible and have an active prayer life.  Some of them study to teach Bible class, some visit the hospitals, some share Jesus with their neighbors.  We expect them to help with special projects and programs.  They should be involved in service to others.

Most active members will give 15-20 hours per work to serving Jesus, their church, and this world.  So our members are using 55-60 hours a week to make a living and to make a difference for  Jesus.

Why should our ministers do less than our members?  Christians give sacrificially so ministers do not have to spend time generating income to support their families.  Do not insult them by spending less that 55 hours per week working.

But I also think ministers should have balance in their lives.  They have family needs, they need to rest and recharge their batteries, and exhaustion makes us all more vulnerable to temptations.  So if preachers get much past that 60 hour workload, it may become unhealthy.

So I think it is reasonable to expect ministers to work 55-60 hours a week.  And I think most of them do.  The ones that consistently work more than this may be in danger of burn out.  Maybe they need a break from ministry.  Those that consistently work less should probably get a full-time job.  Or take a drastic pay cut.

You cannot pay the right minister too much.  He is invaluable.  He will give, work, return tenfold what you are investing in him.  So be generous.

But if you have the wrong one, anything you pay him is too much.  He is not worth it.

I do realize that I have not discussed a definition of work, or how you track it.  But I am going to tell you that I think you know the preachers that work too much, and the ones that work too little.  It becomes obvious over time.

I also realize that we can confuse talent with effort.  But that is a different discussion.

And by the way, the overwhelming majority of my preaching buddies work very hard at their calling.  I thank God for them.

They make a difference.



  

Comments:
I had never thought about it, but what you say makes sense. I concur.
 
It would seem that success is based on the number of people in a group,(church) thus the larger the following the more need, for the minister and his services.

Possibly it is something as simple as two ministers who cover the "clinic" (church)on a 24 hr basis, as you would see in any medical enviroment. Increase ministers as need deems necessary.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?