Tuesday, February 11, 2014

 

Scottie Minton is home...

I preached the memorial service Sunday afternoon for Scottie Minton.  He was 40 years old and had Cerebral Palsy.  His parents, Danny and Kathy, adopted him as an infant.  When they found out how severe his illness was, the adoption agency offered to let them "return" Scottie.  They chose not too.  What if he had been their natural son?  They just believed that God had given them Scottie.  They took care of that precious gift for 40 years.

I believe Scottie's illness was a result of the fact that we live in a fallen world.  But even so, I believe God has a purpose for all his creation.  I believe he had a purpose for Scottie.  And I think it was to help so many of us see Jesus more clearly.

So here are those things I mentioned that I learned from Scottie Minton.

Express joy often and loudly.  He had a great laugh.  Marsha and I were sitting in a hospital waiting room with the Mintons about a week before Scottie died.  Danny started laughing at something and that got Scottie started.  And then Kathy.  And then Marsha and I too.  It was fun, loud, inspiring... and holy.  Of course, I also like it that Scottie laughed at horror movies, musicals, and running horses.  I think his favorite movie would be Walking Dead, the West Side Story.  And set in the old west.

Hurt for the helpless.  One thing always got Scottie agitated.  It was when he heard a crying baby.  As if their pain became his.  Just like Jesus.

Grace.  Watching the Mintons care for helpless Scottie reminded me that Christ died for the helpless.  I am much more like Scottie than some would think.

Love.  Unconditional, unending, sacrificial.

Gospel.  The Mintons are a great love story.  Just like the gospel.  When I tell Scottie's story, I am getting to tell the story of God's love, his sacrificial love to give us what we could not do for ourselves.  And it is the story of resurrection hope.

So Scottie fulfilled his purpose well in this life.  I hope to do as well with my purpose.

And Scottie I'll see you soon.  This time you will know who I am.  You can even take me on a tour of heaven.  A walking tour.  How great is that.

You lived well.  You helped us all see Jesus.  And now you see him in all his glory.

Thank you God for letting us know your child Scottie.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?