Tuesday, April 22, 2014

 

Did God really mean what he didn't say and not mean what he did say?

I want to be the first to admit I am no great theologian.  I am not fluent in Hebrew, Greek, or Aramaic.  ThI do speak English fairly well and Texan very well.  I don't have a DMin.  I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.  But I think the Bible was written so a guy like me could understand it.  So even a guy like me could explain it to others.

But here are two things I just do not understand.

I do not understand holding an absolute position based on something God did not say.  You can form opinions from things the Bible is silent on, but it is hard for me to accept that God is absolutely against something unless he says he is against it.  It just seems God could have clearer if it was that big a deal.  So I wrestle with the whole "God is against instruments in worship because he did not say he was against them."

And I have trouble with an absolute position based on explaining why what seems to be very plain cannot mean what it says.  Some of the current arguments about women's roles in church leadership and worship spend a lot of time explaining how the principles stated in Scripture can't mean what they say.  You would think God could have expressed himself more clearly if that was really his intention.  I have trouble with "this is so clear anyone can understand what it really means even tho I have to explain why what it says is not what it means."

But as I said, I'm not real smart.  So you will have to keep explaining how God meant what he didn't say, and didn't mean what he did say.

Or maybe God said, and did not say, exactly what he meant.

Simple enough for anyone to understand.

Just my thoughts, but I sure don't think God can be happy about all the fussing and fighting over what he said.  I do think that is pretty clear.

Even for a guy like me.

Comments:
There is a lot of gray between the black and white.

If I had been born in Israel or Pakistan my belief system would be very different from the belief that I was raised with in Texas. I would have grown up with the Torah, or Koran, not a Bible.

I understand different doctrines, and as such a particular doctrine does this or that, but to say it is biblical, where there is a question would appear to be "stretch" It is useful way to note a difference in christian organizations though, when one does this and another does not.

Just my thoughts--
 
Laughing here...NO ONE needs a DMin (and thus lose all that money) to understand God's laws or Jesus' teaching. If anyone tells you differently, walk away. Personally, I think there are too many academics walking around stirring the pot- thinking they know more than God himself. We Christians would do so much better if we would stop visiting the self-help aisle and open the Bible and read for ourselves what God wants for our lives. We might actually learn something.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?