Thursday, April 24, 2014

 

Longhorns for Christ and the future of the church

So I got to do a retreat for the Longhorns for Christ campus ministry from the University Church of Christ in Austin recently.  And I think I learned some things about the future of the church.  So from Cary and Jinny McCall and their students, here they are.

Relationships and fellowship are going to be a big deal.  These students were intentional about sharing life together.  They went out of their way to include everyone in the games, study, worship, and down time.  I think communal life together is what keeps us all focused.

They are serious about reaching people for Jesus.  One of the students told me about how God had worked in her life to connect her to Christians and to LFC.  I later found out she was baptized at last year's retreat.  Several I met are going on Let's Start Talking trips this summer.

They agree on the big things and don't let the other things divide them.  There was a wide range of opinions about various things but they looked for unity not division.

They like to share the story of what Jesus has done, and is doing, in their life.  Of course I was the resource person for the retreat and we were talking about how to share our stories and the story of Jesus.  But still, they could talk about their journey with Jesus.

Worship was fun.  It always is with university students.  Serious, spiritual, and celebratory.  One reason I still like hanging around campus ministry.

They get that their identity is in Jesus and not just in their major or their dating relationships.  Which means they will end up doing real vocational ministry.

Of course, there were some issues that bothered me.  They hang out around the campfire until midnight -- or later.  Not sure, it's possible I blacked out.  And they don't get up early.  Stay up late, sleep late.  Two things that are hard on an old guy.  

But I was encouraged.  I think the future is bright.  As long as there are young Christians like these who are serious and intentional about sharing their faith and living life together in Christ... well, I think the future of the church is going to be just fine.  

So thanks Cary and Jinny for letting me hang out with your group.  And thanks Longhorns for Christ.  I like that you keep the emphasis on the last part of your name.  I am excited to see what God does thru you in this world.  It will be amazing.

Keep telling the story.  I will too.

Comments:
Could not help but wonder does enviromental diversity impact today's young christian more than in the past,In part due to the 24/7 information highway.

Austin is noted for the non judgemental, laid back, "Keep Austin Weird" lifestyle. It made me wonder how much a difference you see in youth groups among various cities. The core belief's are the same, but are there differences due to the community lifestyles, more tolerance, less tolerant because of "external" factors?
 
"They agree on the big things and don't let the other things divide them. There was a wide range of opinions about various things but they looked for unity not division."

This Is the way it's supposed to be. It's too bad that so much division of Occurred over such small things in other congregations.

Very if you want to admit that Jesus was a very liberal person, not a hard line conservative. The conservatives were the legalistic Rabbis during the inter-testament period.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?