Tuesday, April 01, 2014

 

Reacting to the Noah Reactions...

I have not seen the movie, so this is not a commentary on its value, artistic merit, or Biblical accuracy.  But I have read lots of reactions to the movie and I am amazed.  So here are a few quick reactions to the reactions.

Of course it is not a "Christian" movie.  It was not produced by a Christian, so why would you expect it to be?  Do not expect non-believers to act as believers would.  And stop being offended when they are true to their world view.  As far as I know, no one involved in this movie ever claimed that it was to accurately reflect the Bible.

I hardly think it is going to destroy our faith if we see it.  Well, unless you think God is now communicating his truth thru movies.  I have a long list of other movies I think are much more damaging to our faith than Noah.

I am not sure it will pervert the world's view of God or Scripture.  If someone out there really wants to know about God, I am confident that God will connect them with one of his people.  I doubt he is counting on Noah to reach this world.

But at the same time, do not try to convince us that this movie is a wonderful Christian experience.  I am amused by those defending it's Christian virtues because it deals with justice, oppression, and the environment.  The fact that there may -- or may not -- be godly themes in a movie do not make it a Godly movie.  Unless God gets the credit, the glory, or is acknowledged... then it is not a God movie.

But this movie may give an opportunity to share the truth about God, the Bible, creation, redemption, justice, judgment, love, and mercy.  As do many other movies, shows, and cultural events.

I do know there has been a lot of  time and effort given to attacking, or defending, this movie.  After all, if we did not spend so much time attacking, or appeasing, our culture then we might actually have time to engage friends, family, and neighbors in real conversation about a real God who deals with real people in a real world.

So maybe I better quit now too.

But God thanks for the real story of Noah.  Help me see and understand your desire to re-create us and our world.  Help me to be part of that.

Comments:
This is excellent! So open-minded and solid to the core. Always appreciate your blogs.
 

I understand your content in regards to an entertainment value film, but find it interesting that you state "It was not produced by a Christian", how do you know?

What would a "Christian" movie be about since there are so many different christians in the world?

Like you stated, this movie gives opportunity to discuss God, and share your belifs with a listener.

I would assume all believers share the same hope and love that God affords to all who chose to follow him.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?