Thursday, April 10, 2014

 

Thoughts on giving and sin...

First of all, this is not just about World Vision and their decision to, or not to, have employees in same sex relationships.  But that situation did trigger much conversation (?) about when to stop giving to an organization.  I guess it was conversation.  Most of what I saw was pretty one sided.

So here are a few of my random thoughts about using my time and money to help children, poor, widows, and needy in a fallen world.

My benevolent giving is done in a Christian context.  I appreciate all the organizations that do good in this world with housing, food, medical care, and clean water.  But many of them are not doing these things in the name of Jesus. So while I am thankful good is being done, and I may even eat at their fundraisers, I am not going to invest significant time or monies.  To me as a Christian, I think the resources God gives me are to be used to his glory.

I think there is a difference between sin in an organization (which is in every church and non-profit I have ever known) and organizational sin (by which I mean endorsed or policies that I believe are sinful).  And before I go further, I understand that everyone may not agree with where I draw lines concerning what I will, and will not, support.  That's OK.  I don't answer to you. I have to be true to what I believe God teaches.

If an organization is doing good works in the name of Jesus, I think that is wonderful.  But if I become aware of teaching or practice that I do not believe reflects Jesus, then I will not support them.  If I find that a group devoted to helping children has a policy that says it is fine for overseas workers to engage in casual sex while away from their mates, I think that is not reflecting Jesus.  I would withdraw my support.  That would apply to any endorsed behavior I believe to be contrary to the teaching of Jesus.  And yes, that does include endorsement of same sex relationships.

Or I would not support a group that would say baptism is not important.  That is fundamentally different than how I read Scripture. So I would not support their activities.  Or one that would teach everyone is going to heaven anyway, whether or not you believe in Jesus before he comes again.

So someone will ask...But how can you withdraw support from anyone who is doing what Jesus would do?  Feed the hungry, heal the sick, etc.  If they are not reflective of Jesus, then they are not doing what he would do.  And remember, there will be organizations doing Kingdom work that you can feel good about giving time and money to.

But please be careful about your criticism if you are doing nothing to help the poor, hungry, and sick of this world.  I would prefer that all of us be personally involved in ministering to the needy of this world.  And certainly we should give from what God has given to us.  You lose some credibility when you tell everyone that they should not give to certain organizations when you are not doing anything yourself.

That is sorta like opposing abortion while not doing anything to help mothers and babies.  You may be right in theory but it is hard to see past your practice.

But I also think practice must be rooted in belief about Jesus.  So I will act, pray, speak for, and give to people and ministries who do Jesus things in Jesus ways.

And before you ask, yes I do know any number of organizations helping children that I support personally or thru my home congregation.  Christian Homes. Timothy Hill Ranch.  Rwanda Children.  Dry Bones.  Christian Service Center.

I know of lots more.  I think your church leaders would know of many others.

And there are untold numbers of missionaries doing amazing Kingdom work.  Serving in the name of Jesus and preaching the good news of the Kingdom.  Most of them are helping, serving, feeding, healing, and caring for the poor, the widows, the orphans of our broken world.  Support them individually or thru your local church.

Father, we do live in a broken world and I want my world to know you.  You care about the broken and the helpless among us.  Your son cared when he walked among us.  So bless us with the means to bless others.  Help us be wise in how we give.  But help us to be extravagant.  For you and your glory.  And in the name of your son.

Comments:
I understand your basis for giving, and why you feel the way you do. As an Elder, Mininter, and member of the church of christ your direction is clear.

We all make choices as to how to spend our money, but the real question to me as well as my husband when we donate to a charity is where is our heart in the matter of the gift? How is God going to judge us the giver, vs. how the gift of money or time is used by an organization.

If the samaritan had the attitude of only giving/helping certain people would the story have the same ending, would he have stopped to rendered aid? He had compassion on the man, because he was in need, plain and simple.

I never want to be guilty about a gift, or try and make a determination of how it will be used, that is not my job. My job as a christin is donate time or money if I see a need that can be filled.

Always appreciate your posts.
 
I read the two articles in referrence to World Vision's decisions to support same sex relationships, and then the immediate reversal of that decision that you referred to.

Aside from personal choices in giving, all of us make, the comments of E.Fleece in one of the articles sum compassion up best in my opinion. "Correct theology is loving people, and no Bible believing Christian is going to whithold service from a person in need who disagrees with his or her interpertation of the scripture".

Is that not what christiany is about? The end result of giving to any charity to to feed the hungry, and care for the sick.

If you cannot live your religion by your actions what is the point in being a christian? Do the people in need care what religion your profess, or what your personal life is about?

Again your comments provoke deep discussions, and thoughts-
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?