Tuesday, April 15, 2014

 

What did you know and when did you know it?

A couple of my friends had important insight to the discussion of supporting organizations.

Cody and Eloise said it in different ways, but the point is valid.  How much due diligence can you, or should you, do about an organization?  And how accountable are you if you find out disturbing things after you have donated?

Personally, I am very much a "relational" giver.  I give to people I know.  Or to organizations where I know those involved.  I am heavily influenced by a recommendation from someone I know and trust.  And I do think that is a legitimate vetting process. You can do more.  There are websites that have core beliefs or "our philosophy" pages.  There are public financials available.  You can read newsletters and other publications.

But I have to admit, I am much more driven by the mission and by the relationships than by anything else.  And personally, the mission that most drives me is to tell the story of Jesus.  I like groups doing that.  I am intrigued by groups that combine relief efforts and talking about Jesus.  If the telling about Jesus part is not there, I am not prone to be as generous.  And I do check to be sure there is a message that I think reflects Jesus accurately.

So I won't give to people or organizations that do not agree with my core convictions and passion.  And neither should you.  I believe what I have comes from God and I want to honor him with how I use those resources.  So I am going to support efforts that I believe do just that.  You can disagree with me, you can think I am judgmental.  That's OK.  I don't have to answer to you or honor you.  You are not the source of my blessings.  God is.  So I am going to do what I believe pleases him.

But what happens if I find out later that a ministry I supported was not what I thought.  Someone was embezzling the money or they were teaching things I do not believe.  I do not worry about that.  Give with a clear conscience and I do not believe God will hold you accountable for what you did not know.  But I am responsible after I find out.  And that can a reason to stop giving.

A couple of other thoughts.

I would rather be a generous giver that did not use great discernment than a very wise and insightful person who was stingy and selfish.

And I would rather have this discussion with real givers than those for whom it is just theory.

So God help us to use wisdom in deciding where to give back to help your Kingdom grow.  And we ask for more that we can give more.  Thank you for you gifts.  We will pass them on for your glory.  

Comments:
As I stated earlier, I enjoy your blog, and the thoughts it creates.
We will never have all the answers to all the questions or problems in this life.

I wondered do we do what is correct out of fear,teachings, or do we do good just because it is the best answer to a problem that we have control over? I will always hope that my answer to the question is I do, because I can.

As always, love and hugs to you and Marsh-
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?