Thursday, May 01, 2014

 

Happy birthday to my Dad

My Dad, Joe Ridgell, turns 86 today.  He won't know it, and if you tell him he probably won't remember.  He has Alzhiemers.  So in many ways, he is already gone.  But I still talk to him almost every day.  And in the nonsensical conversations, I still hear echos of the Dad I knew.  So here is my tribute to my Dad.

He still loves my Mom.  He talks about what she is doing and how he worries about how she is feeling.  The things he worries about aren't real, but it is sweet.  And it reminds me of how they have loved each other for over 65 years.

He talks about Jesus.  He isn't sure where I am going to preach, but he talks about telling people about Jesus.  He loves to remind me that prayer is the best thing to do.  I suspect that is because he spent years praying for me and others.

He wants to be sure I have enough money for food and gas.  And he tells me he is making sure my sister Jan has enough.  He cares about us.  Always loved us.  Always took care of us.

He asks about Marsha's folks often.  That reminds me how much he loves my wife and appreciates the family that raised her.  Also reminds me how blessed we are that our folks got along so well.

He randomly asks about Julie and Joe Don.  Not always sure he is aware of how old they are anymore, but he tells me to be sure and tell them how much Pap loves them.  He does.

Once in a while he pulls out the name of one of my grandkids.  Not often, but sometimes.  Wants to know how they are doing and wants to be sure they know he loves them.

God, prayer, talking about Jesus, love, family.

I would say that pretty well sums up who my Dad has always been.  Love those little glimpses that still come out.  Love the heritage of faith I got from him.  Love the influence he has been on my kids.  Love the stories my grandkids get to hear about him.

I look forward to heaven when we can sit and really talk again.  Till then I'll treasure the little glimpses of him that I still get to see.

So happy birthday Dad.

I love you.

Comments:
It is wonderful that you have the opportunity to still tell your Dad you love him. I have no doubt he has touched many lives, and those people are better because of your Dad, and the love and kindness he showed people.

I remember the brief time I met him, and thought what a kind and caring person he was. I know your family was blessed to have him in your lives at a time when your needs required his advice.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?