Thursday, May 08, 2014

 

Why I love my family of nurses

This is evidently Nurse Appreciation Week.  So I need to tell you that I am a big fan of nurses.  Our girls, Julie and Jamie, are both nurses.  We have nieces, sister-in-laws, and cousins who are nurses.  So it a big deal in our family.  And we have had lots of hospital stays in our family over the past couple of years.  So I have seen a lot of nurses in action.  Our church has lots of nurses in it.  So yes I love nurses

So here a some of the reasons why.

It is more than a job.  It is a calling.  Of course, this comes from a Jesus perspective.  But the nurses I know feel called to minister to people.  It is about getting people physical care, but it is also about serving people who are hurting.

They nurse with love.  They really love people.  They care.  It matters to them that patients know that they are not just a medical problem but they are seen as people.

They go above and beyond.  They are patient, they answer questions, they clean up, they hold hands, they pat faces.

They make people feel better when they are at their worst.  They tell you not to worry about it when throwing up, or making a mess, or testy with pain.  They restore dignity.

Nurses do the hard things.  Vomit, blood, stink, urine, diarrhea, and ... will you get the picture.  And they get in the middle of your mess and help you.  And they do it when some of the patients are not ... well, let's just say they do it when the people they serve are not having a good day and take it out on the nurse.

They cry with you when they need to and they help you be tough when you need to.

The nurses I know best are a great combination of medical skill, big hearts, smiles, love, and Jesus.

They are angels in a dark world.

Best of all, I cannot tell you how many times I have prayed with people in hospital rooms and had the nurses join our prayer circle.

So to nurses everywhere... thank you.

And to the nurses in my family.  You are the hands and face of Jesus in a hurting world.

God bless your nursing ministry every day.

I am proud of you and I love you.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?