Wednesday, June 25, 2014

 

Just Don't Quit...

I spend a lot of time dealing with sin.

Personally, as a preacher, and as an elder.

I look back at some of my personal struggles and wonder how come it was so hard to defeat the "sin demons" in my life.  And as a preacher, I find myself giving advice ... over and over and over again about the same thing.  Even as an elder, I have sheep who struggle with the same temptation for years.

Sometimes people ask me why I am willing to spend so much time with them when they can't seem to get it right.  Addictions, marriage problems, anger issues.  I have literally helped friends battle the same issue for years.  Years.

Sometimes I look at my own life and try to figure out what it was that finally helped my break free from the same old struggle.

Maybe you've been there.  Working.  Praying.  Vowing to quit.  Or vowing to start.  Or promising God you will do better.

And I think I have identified one of the keys to becoming a mature Christian.  Here is the answer to how to have a better marriage.  Here is how to break free of your addictions.  Here is how to find healing, deliverance, and restoration.

Here is the thing I look for in deciding to spend hours/years helping people.

Never give up.  Don't quit.  Keep trying.

That's it.

The battle is only lost when you retreat.

It's pretty hard for Jesus to do much in your life when you give up.

Never surrender.  Keep fighting the battle.

And one day it works.  There are lots of reasons why it takes some of us longer than others to get it together.  But the one common factor is that we never gave up.  Never quit.

So here is my spiritual word for today to those of you who seem to be on an endless treadmill of sin and struggle.

Don't quit.  Keep repenting.  Keep asking God to forgive.  Intentionally live forgiven.  Keep getting help.

And one day it works.  Someday the battle is won.

Just don't quit before the finish line.

And thanks God for not quitting on me.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?