Thursday, June 05, 2014

 

Thoughts from my Dad's funeral

Most of you know by now that my Dad died just over a week ago.  He died on a Sunday morning -- just about the time we were singing the song Someday at Southern Hills.  I thought that fitting when I heard the news.  Buried him on Wednesday of last week.  And here are a few thoughts from his funeral.

He made a difference for the Kingdom in this world.  There were at least 6 men who had served as elders that told me Dad was their model of what an elder should be.  And at least that many missionaries and preachers who talked about the encouragement and support given by him.  There were people there who are Christians today because of his influence.  Lots of people who called him Daddy, Uncle Joe, and Pap.  They were all part of his extended family.

Friends matter at times like these.  There were people from my sister's church who came.  The turnout from my folk's church was amazing.  Especially when you consider that they have not been involved for at least four years because of Dad's Alzheimer's.  And I was amazed at the support from my friends.  Elder buddies who drove four hours one way from Abilene just to support us.  Close friends from Abilene and close friends from when we were raising kids together.  Best friends from childhood days.  Sons in the faith.  All there to love, support, and bear witness to a life well lived.

Generational faith is so powerful.  My Dad was committed to following Jesus.  His greatest legacy is that he passed that down thru the generations.  My son Joe Don and I did the funeral.  I kept reflecting on the fact that the Joe Ridgell a generation ahead of me was a man of God, and the Joe Don Ridgell a generation after me is a man of God.  Faith passed thru his children, his grandchildren, and it is being now passed on to his great-grandkids.  Lasting legacy.

We were also celebrating my Mom.  One of my Dad's "sons", Jerry Christian, led the singing.  I remember him talking about how he always thought of my parents together, never separately.  65 years of faithful marriage.  Not perfect, but always striving to honor God.  Faithful witness.

And I must really look like my Dad.  Every time I tried to introduce myself, the person would say they knew exactly who I was because I look just like my Dad.  Even long time friends I hadn't seen in a while knew me instantly.  Because I look just like Dad.  Even all the relatives in Arkansas who haven't seen me much knew who I was.

And here's what I realized.  It's pretty cool to look like your Dad.  But way more than I want to look like him, I want to be like him.

So we put him to rest.  We looked at the face that belonged to his earthly body.  He is seeing the face of God.  We will too.

Because he taught us to believe in the one who is the Resurrection and the Life.

So till then... well done Pap.  See you soon.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?