Tuesday, September 09, 2014

 

Have to do, should do, and can do are not the same thing

It is always going to be hard to have unity among God's people when we cannot tell the difference between:  I have to do something, I should do something, or I can do something.

I absolutely believe there are things that Christians have to do.  And I absolutely believe there are things that Christians can not do.  Ever.  But I have to tell you that my list is fairly short on those things.  The only things that make the list are those things that I have no trouble pointing out in Scripture and that God is crystal clear about.

I will not compromise on them.  When you ask how I can believe such a thing, I do not even have to explain it.  I just open the Bible and point. Several times in most cases.

I do realize that there are things in Scripture that are clear and definite to me but others hold a different view.  That is between them and God.  As are my convictions. These are things so clear to me that I will not compromise.  Things that I have no problem saying, "Don't argue with me.  Argue with the text."

These are the GOD SAID passages.  When someone begins to tell me that what God said is not what God means then we are not going to come to agreement.

Just as when someone begins to tell me they are sure what God means even though he did not say it.

Then there are lots of things that I think Scripture indicates we should do.  I can show principles, examples, and concepts that would lead to my belief.  But these are not "God said" issues.  I want to leave room for discussion and study,  We may not agree on all of these points.  These are things that may be important and even clear to me.  But others may take the same principles and examples and come to a different conclusion.  

We must allow room for disagreement.  We can agree to disagree on some things and still support, encourage, fellowship, and pray for each other.

Then there are those things that just are not that clear.  Things that different congregations choose to do differently.  Things that are matters of opinion -- maybe strong opinion, but still opinion.  We must never divide the family of God over these.  And we will divide if we confuse our opinions with things we should do.  And opinions must never be in the must do category.

Of course, the problem comes when someone thinks my essentials belong in the maybe category.  Or when they try to put their "should do" onto my "must do" list.

So how do we decide?  Obviously I am not smart enough to solve something that has divided the church for centuries.  But I think a couple of things might help.  And I believe we have to keep trying.

When we say "God says," we better be able to quote God.

Understand the difference between commands, examples, and principles.

Prioritize.  Not everything is of equal value.  What to do about salvation is different from what to do about worship.

But... don't compromise.  I am willing to sever fellowship over the things I am convinced God said.  But that is a frightening thing.  So I better be sure.  I do believe I answer to God above all.  But I also have an obligation to my brothers and sisters to live in unity.

We will have to answer to God someday.

God.  He is the one in charge.  And none of us are him.

Blessings.
 

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?