Tuesday, December 09, 2014

 

Grandpa turns 87 tomorrow

Marsha's Dad, Don Herttenberger, turns 87 tomorrow.  Here is why I love him.

He has taught me so much about how to love the church.  And by church, I mean the people in our fellowship.  For years he was the Southern Hills greeter.  So many people have told me he was the first one to meet them when they visited.  He was one of the great hospital visitors.  He carried food to lots of shut-ins.

He can't do all that anymore.  But it so amazing to see the line of people before church around his wheelchair who want to say hi.  He really loves his church family.

He is a true farmer.  I don't mean a play at it farmer, but one who has loved the land, worked the land, ran cattle, raised crops.  The farm actually came from Granny's side of the family but for the last thirty or so years it has been Grandpa that runs it.  He is the one who helped me understand the spiritual nature of farming and ranching.  Praying for rain, praying for a good crop, trusting God whatever happens.  He loves the land.

He can't really work at the farm anymore.  I am the one that gets the blessing of driving him up there every week or so.  But he still manages it, still handles the farm business, still plans for the future.

But here is the reason I most love Grandpa -- well, giving me Marsha is number 1, but this is next.

For the past several years, my Dad had Alzheime'rs.  I couldn't really ask him for eldering advice.  Couldn't use him as a sounding board.  Couldn't talk thru things anymore.  My Dad went home to heaven a few months ago, and it was shortly after that I figured out what Grandpa meant to me.

He had become my Dad.  Not my father-in-law.    But my Dad.  I ask him for advice on church problems.  I complain to him about the frustrations of eldering and preaching.  We talk sports, farming, cattle, and family.  But we talk a lot about Jesus.  And about reaching people with the good news.  We talk about how to help those fighting spiritual battles.

So Grandpa, I owe you more than you will ever know.  Thanks for helping me see Jesus.  Thanks for your example.  Thanks for being my Dad.  I still need one you know.

So God... thank you for Grandpa.      

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?