Thursday, January 29, 2015

 

I do treat some people and their sins differently than others...

I tend to categorize people.  I do this based on how they act, conversations we have, and how well I know them.  And here is how I treat them differently.

People I know are either Christians or they are not.

Those who are not believers are either interested in Jesus or they are not.

For non-believers who are not interested in Jesus, I am friendly but I am not going to be close friends with them.  I don't condemn how they live, God will do that eventually.  I do not expect them to live by Christian standards.  Why would they?  They do not claim to be a Christian.  But I am friendly because I never know when they may decide there is something to this whole Jesus thing.  And we can talk about him.

Non-believers interested in Jesus are different.  I am friends with them, and I still do not judge their lifestyle.  We might share meals in our home.  I might visit in theirs.  Even if they live differently than I do.  Still do not judge them.  Not my business.  Do not expect them to live like Jesus.  They do not claim to believe in him.  But I intentionally share Jesus with them.  They may respond quickly or slowly.  I may be breaking ground, sowing seed, or watering Jesus seeds.  Some will object to this and say I am just being friends so I can try to convert them.  Not sure how to answer that.  I can't imagine being friends with someone and not sharing Jesus.  And when they quit having interest in Jesus, we are not going to be real close because we really will not have much in common.

Then there are the Christians I know.

Christians who are faithfully living to serve God are those I live life with.  We are close, sharing life together.  We eat together, hang out together.  They are my closest friends.  Different than the non-believers in my life.

And different than Christians living in deliberate sin.  I do treat them different.

If I see a Christian choosing to live in sin, I will not be friendly as if it is OK.  I am "harder" on them than a non-Christian.  Because they said they would be different.  So I will invite them into my home for coffee or a meal.  But there is an agenda.  We are going to talk about sin, confession, repentance, and restoration.  We are not going to just hang out as if everything is OK.  And by the way, when they repent -- and many will -- then we will do what family does... we will help them fix their life.

And for those Christians that do not repent, that live in their sin, and that refuse to let it go.  We will not be friends.  I will not be friendly.  We won't chit-chat.  We will not talk about the weather.  You are not welcome in my home or at my table.  Until you repent.  Because I love you.  I will love you enough to have the hard conversation.  But when you make your intentions clear about choosing sin over Jesus, then we are through.  Not friends.  Not friendly.  

So it is true that I am harder on some Christians than I am on non-Christians.  Because they are different.  I will go to any lengths for the struggler, the battler, the faith fighter.  As long as it takes.  The seeker, the struggler are welcome at my table.  But not the quitter.  And I hope he misses the table enough that he will come back.

So...

God help me see people like your Son sees them.  Help me to treat people the way he did.  Help me to always act out of love.  Even if it is hard.  Even if if it is not easy.  And help me to treat everyone in ways that draw them to your Son.  Because that is what matters.  

Comments:
Understand your comments based on your belief's and background,but could not help but wonder if all religious leaders including Christ, feel/felt the same way about their religious doctrine.

I guess the real question to me is, is it bibilical to impose "guidelines with time limits" in regards to interactions among people you come in contact with?
 
Well Jesus is the one who talked about withholding fellowship from believers who will not repent. So I would say Jesus would. Of course, the key is to strive to be sure my core doctrine lines up with his. Easier said than done.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?