Tuesday, January 06, 2015

 

Thanks to Ken, Mitch, Sadie, Hunter, and Darlene

I have prayed hard for six people and their families the past few days.  There have been others on my list of course, but these six were firmly on my "God heal them" list.  He hasn't answered my prayers the way I wanted on all of them.  At least not yet.  But I have learned something from these families this week.  And I am grateful.

Ken has prostate cancer.  It's difficult for his wife.  It would be for any wife, but really hard for Carla.  Ken was God's gift to Carla.  Life has been hard for her.  Lost both her parents on the same day a few years ago..  Lost a marriage when her husband chose someone else over her and Jesus.  But Ken was God's grace, God's gift.  They found happiness together.  They were, and are, serving God.  And now they have to face an uncertain future.  They pray for healing.  They commit to faith whatever the answer.

Mitch is one of my preaching heroes.  They just removed a mass from his chest.  Any time now they will find out the results of the biopsy.  Mitch buried his Dad not too long ago.  Now he prays and waits for God to answer.  And he is at peace.  My favorite Mitch saying thru this:  "God has got this."  And Mitch means more than just that God will heal.  He means God has this whatever the outcome.

I don't guess baby Sadie can process any of this.  She is still fighting for life in NICU.  Her twin is already with Jesus.  But Princess Sadie is a fighter.  Progress, then problems.  Her parents are people of faith.  They cry, they laugh, they hope, they pray.  And they have given Sadie to God.  Our prayer is that she grow into a mighty woman of faith.  And her parents will raise her that way.  But her  life is a faith testimony even now.

Hunter is her uncle.  He is fighting for his life and health too.  I've watched Sadie's parents love their brother.  I've seen Mark and Jana (parents/grandparents) serve, love, and cry.  I've watched the faith of Jennifer, Hunter's wife.  I've prayed with their little boy that Daddy (and baby cousin Sadie) will be healed.

And I pray for Darlene.  She survived congestive heart failure 25 years ago, and a heart transplant almost 20 years ago.  Now she is in ICU battling cancer.  She and Ronny have been at Southern Hills almost since we started.  He served as an elder, Bible class coordinator, spiritual adviser.  Great family.

So why am I saying thank-you to all these people?

Thanks for reminding me of what is really true.

Life is hard.  It is a fallen world.  Pain and sorrow.  Sickness.  Reality of death.  Hope of heaven.

So thanks for pointing to heaven.  Someday when there is no more pain, sorrow,or tears.  Forever life together.

Family matters.  Blood family by birth, and blood family by faith.  Love, prayers, and shared joy and tears.  Service.  Meals, rides, visits, and countless acts of love.

Thanks for living outside of yourselves.  You all ask about others.  You pray for others.  You care too.

Thanks for holding on to God.  Love your faith.  Love that no matter what... God has each of you in his hand.

You remind me what I believe, what I preach, what I live, and someday... what I will die.

All for God's glory.  No matter what.

So God... I ask you to heal Ken.  And Mitch.  And Sadie and Hunter.  And Darlene.  Thank you for the faith witness from them and their families.  And thank you that we all know this life is not our real home.

So see us thru.

We believe.    

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?