Thursday, February 26, 2015

 

Josh Hamilton, Jesus, and Me

My thoughts as a Texas Ranger baseball fan about Josh Hamilton's latest relapse with drugs and alcohol.  

Great job Rangers.  So glad we do not have him playing for us.  No way to have gotten baseball value for what we would have had to pay.  Angels way overpaid.  Ha, ha to our division rivals.  It was risky health-wise, baseball-wise, and the dangers of an addict were still there.  I have two vivid baseball memories of Josh.  The home run that should have won the world series.  Jogging in to mess a soft liner in a critical game then appearing to not be too upset about it.  Glad he's not a Ranger.

My thoughts as a passionate follower of Jesus.  I am heartbroken for Josh and his family.  He has been a vocal and visual witness for Jesus in our culture.  One of the all-time great public testimonies was the night he won the home run derby.  I also thought his statements after past failings were powerful.  I do not think his sin and struggle invalidates his testimony.  If you have be perfect to be a follower of Jesus, then I don't know any of us that qualify.  We were watching someone try to grow into a disciple right before our eyes.  And he knew everyone was watching him.  And to see God molding him was powerful.

So if you are a Christian, do not condemn, criticize, or be glad for the fall. 

Be critical as a baseball fan... but about baseball.  That's fair.  But not for his spiritual struggle.

My thoughts as someone struggling to live out my faith.  When you have had to battle your demons, and sometimes lost, it is hard to face people.  Especially if you are a public face.  If you are well known.  You are ashamed, guilty, embarrassed, and humiliated.  No one feels worse about your failure than you do.  Well, you and God.  He hurts too.  

I know.  I've been there.  Public figure proclaiming Jesus.  Public failure.  It's been a long time, but I remember.  By God's grace, I am still living out my faith.  Still fighting for my faith.  Letting the Holy Spirit mold me more and more into the image of Jesus.

And now very aware of how horrible it is to fall again.  Maybe I need that reminder.  It is good for me to be reminded of God's grace and God's mercy.  Thankful for people who restored me.  Reminded how important it always is to live in accountability with my family and a handful of close brothers.  I bet Josh would give anything had he still had a strong support system in place.  And then stuck with it.  So I am reminded to be thankful for my group. 

Thanks Josh Hamilton for the baseball memories.  And glad the Angels are handcuffed somewhat by paying you a lot of money for not much production.

But thanks much, much more for trying to live out your faith in a public venue.  So sorry for what Satan led you into.  Praying for your recovery.  Hoping your witness is stronger and more powerful in the future.  And sorry it is so painful, but God has already used you to remind the rest of us how easy it is to give in to our demons.  

So thanks God for your mercy and grace.  Help me to always be your man.  Help me to remember that there are lots of people watching me.  Let them see you and your son thru me.     

Comments:
Wow! Powerful Steve. Thanks.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?