Tuesday, March 24, 2015

 

Don and Jean Herttenberger have been married 70 years

Today is the day.  We celebrated Saturday.  Our local paper did a front-page story today.  You can read their story by checking my Facebook feed.  But it was 70 years ago today my in-laws, Don and Jean Herttenberger, got married.

Yes, they were kids.  (But that certainly came in handy when they thought Marsha and I were too young to get married).  They still hold hands, still kiss, still hug.  Still don't like to be apart.  Still say I love you.  Still say Sorry when they need to.  

So here are a few reflections of why I love them and am so proud of them.

Their marriage is about God, not just them.  Grandpa converted Granny.  It is no exaggeration to say their lives have been spent in church.  They have been at Southern Hills 50 years.  Taught Bible class, served as a Deacon, asked several times to serve as an elder.  They raised their kids that way too.  All three are active in church.

But more than that, they live their faith.  They have fed literally thousands of meals to others, they have visited those in the hospital, they have given generously.  They still read their Bible, and they pray for their family, their church, and for lost people.

Jesus is a real part of that marriage.

Family is a big deal.  They love their grandkids.  I take great comfort in knowing how much my kids and my grandkids have been prayed for by Granny and Grandpa.  They love their siblings, their nieces and nephews, and all of their extended family.  For years, our church small group was the Herttenberger family.

They love the family farm.  115 years in the family.  There is something special about being connected to the land.  Cotton, wheat, peanuts, cattle, horses.  Tomatoes, beans, squash, okra, peas, and peppers.  Dove, quail, geese, and ducks.  Sunsets and sunrises.  Bobcats, rabbits, coyotes, and skunks. Drought and rain.  Sweat and tears.  Praying over crops and cattle.  Life.

I have been blessed to be part of this family for almost 42 years.  They gave me Marsha.  They have loved me.  I think I am their favorite.  And maybe that is the secret.  Everyone thinks they are their favorite.

I am blessed to be part of Don and Jean Herttenberger.  I honor them, but more importantly, they honor God.  By their words and by their lives.

Thank you God for the living miracle of 70 years loving You and loving each other.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?