Tuesday, March 03, 2015

 

No I Will Not Tell You If I Am Participating in Lent

Lent is an old tradition practiced primarily by Catholics.  It has recently gotten a lot of traction among evangelical churches.  It is designed to help you focus on your mortality during a season of fasting leading up to Easter Sunday where the resurrection of Jesus is celebrated.  Some people start the season by wearing ashes on their forehead representing the dust our bodies will return to someday.  Many talk about what they are giving up for Lent.  Rarely is it food, but I often hear soda, Facebook, television, chocolate, etc.

I get asked what I think about Lent.  And if I am participating in Lent.

So here are a couple of thoughts.

You certainly do not have to participate in Lent to be a faithful Christian.  Lent is not a command.  It is a tradition.  I do have to say here that as a life-long member of churches of Christ, I never heard much about Lent.  We have our own set of traditions (like singing without instruments).  I am amused that some of the loudest proponents of practicing Lent (or Advent) are the same people that tell me how we cannot be slaves to some of our traditions.  It is almost as if our traditions = bad, and other groups traditions = good.  

And I do not think it is accurate to say that Ash Wednesday -- or Easter for that matter -- are violating the Scripture about putting one day above the rest.  That is not the theology of Lent.  It may happen that way in practice, but that is not the purpose.

I think some of the ideas about Lent are helpful.  It is good to contemplate our mortality.  And Jesus does say a lot about fasting.

But I do have a couple of problems with what I see this time of year.  One is that it is very easy to make this a spiritual exception to the rest of the year.  I think Christianity is supposed to be a lifestyle all the time.  But some people do the same thing when it comes to the Sunday assembly.  That is their one hour per week to be spiritual.  Maybe it a problem inherent with Sunday, Advent, Lent, and Easter.

But Jesus taught that our spiritual disciplines are between us and God.  In fact, he made a big deal out of praying in secret and dressing normally when fasting.  If anything, he taught us to not let people know when we are in a season of prayer and fasting.

So taking Ash Wednesday selfies, or even wearing ashes seems a little out of step with what Jesus said.  And telling people what you are giving up (fasting from) seems at odds with how Jesus said to do it.

So back to one of the original questions:  Am I participating in Lent?

I can't tell you.

It's between me and God.

Comments:
Interesting comments. When I think of the people I have known personally who have commited themselves to the Lent season, the one common trait they all had was that they were deeply religious people. It was done as a reminder of their commitment to a christian lifestyle.

Like you, I was not aware of the practice until I explored, or encountered other religious beliefs. I personally view the service along the same lines as religious tokens, jewelry, or events suggested as a recommitment and reminder of God's care/presence.

A piece of religious jewelry is as visible as a cross made of ashes. Lent is a specifice time is set aside to call the faithful together and re commit their lives to God during this time. As you noted every religion has it's share of holiday worshipers, but my experience has been the people who celebrated Lent were not in the group of "part time" followers, just the opposite. This is usually the same group who show up to pray every day and light candles in rememberence of someone.

It is hard to compare what Jesus did in his day,with today's method of communication, and the popular "selfie".
 
Eloise,
You're right in that the devout Christians tend to keep Lent. It gets hard after a while, even if you give up nothing physical but try to change your behavior and your heart. Some years are easier than others. I know the cofC tended to call it catholic and disregard it but it can have meaning and help those who are really trying to clean up their act. It is more personal than anything.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?